Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer is slow! Please help.

• Please log in to reply

cc2001

cc2001

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
hello
I just purchased a hp pavillion ze2000. It has a amd mobile sempron processor, 40G hard drive, 256MB ram. However, when I open more than one program at the time the speed of swapping is horrible. It is loaded with win xp. I had an old hp with win 98, that seemed to be faster with multiple programs, is there any tweaks, or anything else I can do? Please help. I dont want to be stuck with this, I love everything about it but this.

thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
H-P is known for having programs running in the background. Do a ctrl-alt-delete on the puter to bring up the task manager and look under performance to see how much memory is being used. If you are using close to the amount of memory in the computer the puter is slowed down by constantly using the swap file to hold data. To speed things up i would put another stick of 256 mb memory in the puter. My computer with 1 gig of memory is using 309 mb of memory right now and I have only 28 processes running.

SRX660

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have 46 processes running, this sounds like alot compared to yours.