Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

IE Trouble

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts

First off, this is NOT happening on my pc, rather my friends pc.

He couldnt type this up himself as his net is doing something strange which is as follows:

I remember a while ago there was a new IE exploit, where you could click on a link for example the URL on the address bar said "www.microsoft.com" but when he clicked on it, it would appear as Google with "www.microsoft.com" in the URL still. He cant even access a single page without that terrible hole in IE. Does anybody know of a fix or a patch? Thanks

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You probably need to download a copy of HiJack This (it'll fit easily on a floppy) and take it to your friend... run it, then copy the log to the floppy, and then load it back on your computer and post it in the Malware section here. They can point out the things that need done, but it's going to be slow going since the things they suggest can't be tried instantly on his computer...

In these cases, it's probably best to hopefully burn to cd anything he wants to keep (pics, songs, etc), then do a complete fresh install of the OS, including a hd reformat (if he has the original restore cd's, it should wipe everything and start fresh, as well).

Though he could probably work his way out of the spyware problem, it'd be very difficult and time-consuming to do it through a third party. Though you might be able to use Spybot and get him clean enough to get back online and get to the forum.