Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware Infection Background and Non-transparent Icons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KockM08

KockM08

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok guys I was surfing the web and some random webpage downloads a file immediately that I cannot stop. It changes my homepage and my desktop background. I ran Norton AntiVirus 2005 and Microsoft AntiSpyware and both found spyware and deleted it. I restarted my computer after and ran them both again. Neither of them found anything so I assume my computer is clean, but the background of my computer had not changed saying Spyware Infection. I went on to some online forums and saw that some people with the same problem went into regedit and deleted the wallpaper.htm file. This got rid of the wallpaper problem but now my icons on my desktop all look like I have them selected. I would like to know how to fix this because its just a pet peeve I guess. Thanks

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thank you for your interest in helping but, we have a Malware Forum with people trained in Malware Removal..

Should you wish to join our training program simply PM Kat and ask.. she will guide you to the proper application area!!

Murray

KockM08

KockM08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was spysheriff, and I should delete every thing under Policies including the folders except Explorer and whats in it? Thank you for your help btw your a life saver :tazz:

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Please follow the steps located in THIS thread. If that doesn't clear up your infection, post your HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If, after receiving a clean bill of health from the malware staff, you are still having problems, continue posting in this thread.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
so did it work? glad to help... :tazz:

KockM08

KockM08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I haven't really tried doing it yet so I don't know it worked, but I wanted to know if I deleted every thing like the actual folders? I have 4 folders under Policies which are ActiveDesktop, comdlg32, Explorer, and system. Do I delete each of those folders except Explorer or just whats in them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
:tazz: really sorry bout that didnt mean anything by it...shoulda thought of that before posting...wont happen again. anyway maybe you guys could check up on what i posted, i know it worked for some people-cos i noticed most guys w/ spysheriff problems keep saying they've done everything in the sticky, to no effect. hope it helps, peace!

KockM08

KockM08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It helped but it didn't get rid of ALL the problems. Don't be sorry you got me on my way, and I figured out how to fix it thanks for your time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
continue on through the malware forum kockmo8.....they will help clear up the rest of any infections

neverborn if you're wanting to join the fight here against malware..you can join geekU and get some more tools and training

Saint_Dog

Saint_Dog

• Pip
  • 2 posts

It helped but it didn't get rid of ALL the problems. Don't be sorry you got me on my way, and I figured out how to fix it thanks for your time.

How did you fix the icon problem?

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I had the same problem these guyz fixed mme up

deft777

deft777

• Pip
  • 1 posts
had the same prob. Here,s what to do.

start menu
run- Regedit.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
erase explorer folder
restart computer

your icon will be back to normal after this.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
If you manually delete the Explorer subfolder you will also erase legit settings that may have been put there. It is best to advise on a case by case basis.

Please refrain from posting malware advice unless you are cleared to. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just closing this up before it becomes yet another conversation