Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DiskScan problems, Big Time!

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
[size=3][size=4][b][color=#000099] I have to run my scandisk in safe mode because otherwise it freezes up. I tried exiting all programs except the ones I'm not supposed to, did everything right but still it won't scandisk in normal operational mode. What can I do to fix this problem? Also, when my anti virus runs, it shows a red "X" through the Boot sector of C drive. Why is that? Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks! :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
As far as scandisk only running well in safe mode, or ms-dos if you're on win98, that isn't to uncommon a problem. It's usually due to having some programs running in the background, that write to the drive. As far as the red X in the boot sector, you might want to Google the problem or try the virus scanners website for info on th meaning. It could mean that you have a boot sector virus, or that the scanner isn't allowed to see the boot sector.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks Tyger for your help. I have AVG anti virus free version. It's always read the boot sector. Only recently has this red X showed up and when I run AVG, the results about the boot sector says "Reading Error". I had a trojan horse "Downloader.Agent.HM" just before this started happening and AVG couldn't heal it, so it quarrantined the trojan horse, but thats when the boot sector issue began. You mentioned GOOGLE. How can Google help me? Is there any way of fixing ScanDisk? I exited the programs that wre running, I deleted the quick launch program plus I disabled it, I did everything possible but still I have to run ScanDisk and Defrag in safe mode. Is this something I just have to live with? Thanks for your help and merry Christmas. :tazz:

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Moose,

Regarding AVG and your boot sector error message see here: http://forum.grisoft...p?7,56635,56655

Which version of AVG do you have. If it is less than 7.1.371 update.

As Tyger says running scandisk and defrag in safe mode is a quite normal proceedure - you do not have a problem.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks 1069
I'm going to the link you provided and will let you know how it goes. Thanks also for reassuring me about doing scandisk in safe mode. Take care! :tazz:

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Dang! I have AVG antivirus free edition version 7.1.362 can I update it or do I have to uninstall the older version and download the newer 7.1.371 version (over 15mb on dial up?) :)
HELP!!!! :tazz:

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I am sure it will update.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
1069, THANKS! :) :) :woot: :P :tazz:

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Glad I could help :tazz:

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
How do I Update my AVG AntiVirus Program free edition From my current 7.1.362 to 7.1.371? I went to the Grisoft site and can't find an update. Will I have to download the new version? (BIG DOWNLOAD on Dial Up). There should be an update link to change my AVG to the 371 version right? Any help will be sooooo much appreciated. I have been doing daily updates but my boot sector is still reading "Reading Error" when I run AVG. I am up to date on all my updates. This is getting frustrating. :) :tazz:

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
sorry - thought from post 8 that you had fixed it.

Try clicking on the icon in the Task Bar and click on Test Centre select Scan for Updates.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Me again :) I went into my AVG Test Centre, selected Scan for Updates, and I got completely updated. Only one problem; Afterwards, I did a complete scan and it still shows a red X in boot sector and result says Error Reading. :tazz: If my AVG AntiVirus program is updated, why is this happening? Is there a newer Free AVG AntiVirus Program, and if so, how do I get the newer version withought having to download the whole ball of wax? (BIG mb File) I'm sorry to be a pain :) but I don't want that boot sector error. Thanks! :woot:

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Is your AVG now the current version (7.1.371) ?

If not you could ask a friend with broadband to download it and burn it to cd for you.

You would need to un-install your version first - then update the newer installed version to bring you completely up-to-date.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
No mine is version 362. I'll download the latest from AVG. I have dial up but I have a download manager anyway so it won't be that bad. I can play solitaire while it's loading, LOL. At least I know now what the problem is thanks to you. Thanks again and sorry to be such a pain. :tazz: Take care!

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hope the download solves your problem - it is important to have your AV up-to-date any way.

You have not been a pain - you had a problem that needed solving - hopefully the updated download will fix it.

Best of luck.