Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disengaging slave disk - problem

• Please log in to reply

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have a machine running w2k, sp4 that has two drives. Master is 100gb, slave is 10gb and gets no use.
THe Motherboard is an ABIT KT7A, updated to current BIOS runing an Athlon 1gig chip and 512 SDRAM

I am installing RAID on this machine and a second 100gb drive.

Problem is that I cannot remove the slave 10gb drive without the system refusing to function. Will not boot after removal.

There is but one file on the slave, that being a file folder called RECYCLED.

There is also a file folder of the same name on the Master.

I am unable to delete the "recycled" on the slave - get message that some other program is accessing the folder. Close the program before deleting.

I cannot find such program and fear it is Windoew 2k.

I have tride to move this folder from the slave to the master as well. No luck.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Win2K Recycle Files & Slave Drive
15th Dec 2005

[Information Only] – I do not know enough about the history of your PC -

This is probably your [Recycle Bin] – This is a [Temporary Folder] that contain all your deleted files –
Why it is on this Drive – I do not know –

To VIEW theses Files – Open [Control Panel]:
1-Click [Start]
2-Highlight [Settings]
3-Click [Control Panel] – this will open [Control Panel]

Open the [Folder Options] Folder – Click on [View] Tab –

1 - Now – Place Check in [Show Hidden Files] -
2 – ** Uncheck [Hide Protected System Files] ** Recheck this – when done Viewing - **

[This should allow you to view these files on the 2nd Drive – when Using [Windows Explorer] –

** – When done viewing – [Check] the [Hide Protected System Files] - **

See following Link about [Recycle Bin] – [Lesson 11] –

[ Lesson 11. Understanding File Properties and the Recycle Bin]

http://www.informit...._2000&seqNum=93

Did you upgrade from Win 98 to Win2K & was your 2nd Drive your [Master] for Win98 – This may be the remnants of an old OS -

Jack123

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes the current slave was the master, and the upgrade was from 98 to XP. And, yes, I believe thay are remnants.

But they are still attached to somethig.

Win98 was removed after the upgrade.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
My guess would be that your master boot record is on the now slave drive. This isn't a problem I've had to solve, but you might try Googling to find information on how to put the MBR on your master drive.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Win2K Recycle Files & Slave Drive-(3)
16th Dec 2005

Ok – I have requested an [Operating System’s Expert] to further assist you with this problem – I do not feel comfortable helping outside of my [Expertise/Skills] – Hopefully someone can give you a [Procedure] on how to move your [MBR] – and/or [BIOS Settings] –

Jack123

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Jack,

Thanks so much,

What has worked was copying the "system volume" file to the "C" drive, then physically disconnecting the slave drive.

Re-boot, and the "C" drive can function independantly of the slave.

Beats me how this got this way, but the guy who did the upgrade to XP from 98 spent an awful lot of billable hours on this machine - paid for by a firm with who I was contracting my services.

I got the machine when the contract was up.

THanks again,

Tom Scott

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
First things first, Upgrade = Evil. You have the upgrade disk and you have the option of using your drive as a slave to transfer your files. Do yourself a HUGE favor and format the new disk and start from scratch. You will notice a huge improvement. You can also format with the NTFS file system which has improved security and file handling.

If you only have an upgrade, thats fine, all you have to show it is your win98 disk and it will install fine from scratch.

ScHwErV :tazz: