Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm going to build my first computer

• Please log in to reply

This Will Work

This Will Work

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to put together a system for under $1000 (It is, but just barely). I've never done this before, but after viewing a few random sites this is what I've come up with.

Basically will this system work with itself? Are the parts compatable? Is this enough to be able to play games for a few years (Considering that the most intensive game I have now is Civ 4)? Is this enough power? Did I forget anything? Have I left enough room to expand into a second HD and more RAM later (I think so)? Is there anyplace I should consider picking a new component? I have no idea how many USB ports this gives me (I know there's at least two in the front of the case).. (All of these parts are from newegg.com, though I may not actually buy from there).

Processor
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3200BPBOX

Motherboard
MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: K8N Neo4-F

Graphics Card
SAPPHIRE 100139L Radeon X800GTO 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 FireBlade Edition Video Card - Retail
Model #: 100139L

RAM (x2)
mushkin SP3200 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model 991093 - Retail
Model #: 991093

Case:
RAIDMAX Horizon ATX-287WB Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: ATX-287WB

Extra Cooling:
Dynatron DF128025BC 80mm 2 Ball DC Brushless Fan - Retail
Model #: DF128025BC

PSU
ENERMAX EG425P-VE SFMA 2.0 ATX12V 420W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: EG425P-VE SFMA 2.0

HD
Maxtor MaXLine Plus II 7Y250M0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: 7Y250M0

Monitor
Fujiplus FP-7688B Black 17" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Model #: FP-7688B

CD/DVD
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - Retail
Model #: ND-3550A BG RT

Sound
CHAINTECH AV-710 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
Model #: CT-AV710

Intarweb
HAWKING HGA32T 10/100/1000/2000Mbps PCI Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Retail
Model #: HGA32T

If you need more info on any of the components just let me know...

Edited by This Will Work, 15 December 2005 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can drop the ethernet adapter and sound card you allready have them built in to the motherboard. Instead of a maxline drive get a diamondmax they are pretty much the same but for home users.

looks good to me apart from that maybe get a bigger PSU.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Mushkin memory is fine and I have used it before. You dont need to get that chaintech sound card, it defeats the whole purpose and it sux.

If you want something better than onboard sound get a creative sound blaster card. The best out right now is the xfi series. Around $120 you can get the x-fi xtreme music sound card that is really good. The other x-fi cards are too expensive. If you want to spend a little less look into a sound blaster audigy 2 of some kind.

If all you need is basic sound then just the onboard sound would be fine.

My logitech z5500 surround sound system pounds with a creative sound blaster live 5.1 card. Stay away from any cheap sound cards. $20 for a sound card is going to be crap.

I might buy the x-fi xtreme music sound card myself.

Edited by jrm20, 15 December 2005 - 08:17 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Although for most people the AC97 is adequate, sound cards are something you can get down the line easily enough im waiting for the better xfi cards to drop in price a bit before i buy one.