Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer trouble

• Please log in to reply

johntrumble

johntrumble

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I power on my computer, the Windows XP loading screen appears, the green loading bars move, but it never loads the computer. The Only change I have made to the computer as of late is the installation of a Wireless G card. I did do a system restore while my computer was running, after I installed the G card which forced me to reinstall the card. Could it be that windows Thinks I am sharing the software and is not running due to several changes in hardware? What else could it be.

Advertisements

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Have you tried booting in safe mode?

johntrumble

johntrumble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My keyboard will not respond, What should I type,hold down, or press to get there, and once there then what?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to get into safe mode you generally press f8 repeatedly during the boot process..this will bring up a screen with a bunch of selections....choose safe mode from the list...

what kind of keyboard are you using? usb or ps/2?

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
It's F10 to get to safe mode on Dell computers, just in case :tazz:.

johntrumble

johntrumble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My keyboard is USB port,

If I can get into safe mode, what am I looking for that would be causing the load issue?

My reinstalling windows would that fix anything?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your keyboard isn't working...do you have a usb to ps/2 connector? or a ps/2 keyboard?

and as of right now...we're not worried about what we will do once we get into safe mode...just want to see if you can...if you can get into safe mode...then it will be a little easier to narrow down the issue

johntrumble

johntrumble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My Keyboard is a straight USB wired keyboard, not a ps/2 keyboard. No jack needed.

when loading the computer it states your computer did not shut down correctly, it gives me a few options, and If i do not make an option within 30sec, it loads normally, my keyboard will not respond, so after the 30 sec, it start to load, going to the Windows, XP load screen, but never goes any further..

Any thoughts?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My Keyboard is a straight USB wired keyboard,

what do you mean by that?....do you mean just a standard usb keyboard? or is it actually wired to the motherboard?

what i meant...was if you can get a ps/2 keyboard...that would be helpful because your keyboard might not be working because of a driver issue