Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

call of duty help needed

• Please log in to reply

leadmagnet

leadmagnet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been playing this game for over a year now, and i cant seem to hit to many people for some reason. It acts like my sights are wayyyyyyyyyyy off. Is this even possible? I have most of my settings in the game set to medium, and it still doesnt seem to help.

Im running windows xp home edition, on a GATEWAY PRB 700.....2.66GHz...512/ 80GB...128MB vdeo G force ( mx440 ).

Im by no means a computer geek, and know very little about how a pc works, im just trying to have alittle fun in my spare time. I use to think i wasnt hitting to many, because everyone else was using a cheat code, but i dont think this is my problem, lol. And no, im not blind, lol.
I have 60 gig of hardrive free, so i know that isnt the problem. Any help that anyone could give me, would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, i am not a puter wizz,lol. If you can help me, leave a post, or shoot me an email.
Thanks[email protected]

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you sure thats not just the computer compensating for movement of your character, does it happen when you are proned, and are you remebering to shoot where the targets will be not where they are.

leadmagnet

leadmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it happens in any position, prone or standing. Not real sure what you mean by shooting where the target will be, instead of where it is. I can shoot at a non moving target, and still will miss it most of the time, unless i get lucky lol. Not sure if i mentioned, the game is the original call of duty, not call of duty two.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Figured since that PC wont play call of duty 2.

Is the game quite laggy, you know jumps around alot or is it just as if you aim at one spot then you cant hit it, also the game simulates a real persons accuracy, eg breathing you cant for example hit someone with a pistol from across the map and after you fire the first shot it will get less acurate until you take a break from firing.

when you use the sniper rifle as far as i know CoD has the hold breath to steady the rifle button but my memory may be failing me there, at long distances that characters breathing will affect the shot.

So after me telling you that does it seem like your aiming is a fault or just the game being realistic(CoD is quite realistic as well, so basically rambo doesnt work its more enemy at the gates stuff).

leadmagnet

leadmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no, im not getting lag, that i can see. Not breathing on long shots, seemed to help alot. I still have the same problem up close though. Even if i get the drop on the other guy, i still wind up dead lol. Again, it acts like the sights are way off, no matter if im using the iron sights, or shooting from the hip, im always the one that winds up full of holes lol. Thats why my name is leadmagnet, i thought it would fit me lol. Thanks for all the help you give me, and for being so patient.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is this single player or mulitplayer? if mp then your ping and video card can both generate "lag". You need to lead your shots.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It does sound like you just have terrible aim, you might try updating the game and gfx drivers, and maybe reinstall the game. You might try adjusting the internet settings to configure them for your speed if there is an option for it, ive only played the original CoD over a lan so i dont know where those options would be, if it happens in single player after you tried drivers and update it is just really bad aim, pistols arent accurate and the more you shoot the less acurate the weapon slow and accurate is the way to go. And if a target is moving shoot where they will be bullets dont travel instantaneously you have to compensate for the speed of travel and distance.

leadmagnet

leadmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is only happening in multi player. I have tried connecting to servers, where my ping is below 100 and it seems to work great, and i can hit what im aiming at. If i go in a server where my ping is around 120 or so, the only thing i can seem to hit, is the ground, after i've been shot lol. I'd say that at least 60% of the servers, show my ping over 100. Is there anything i can do to lower this? I do use the End IT ALL program to shut things down that are not needed, before i load the game. Do i need a better video card, or do i just need to join the servers where my ping is fairly low?

AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE HELPED ME OUT HERE :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
There isnt really a way to lower your ping. The ping is the (ms) miliseconds it takes to get from your pc to the server your playing on. Your isp "internet service provider" is the main problem if you get high ping. Depends on your location where you live and the quality of service and lines your company has laid everywhere and your home also.

The main cause for higher ping is the distance between your home and the multiplayer server. Overseas servers are going to be higher pings of course.

A router can even make your pings rise. They all usually add atlease 10 ms of ping time to your usual ping. Sometimes more.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Pick servers with low pings that are as close to where you live as possible, if you have a firewall turn it off, open the ports for CoD on your router. Dont use any kind of P2P or upload or download files while you play.

Advertisements

LTS_Joe

LTS_Joe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been searching the internet for some info about this very thing. Seems like I hose down guys at point blank range and empty clip after clip into someone's face only to have them kill me with one shot. This is very frustrating as the game would otherwise be really fun. My ping is never over 70 and my system is less than 3 months old (256MB ATI video card 2.4gig AMD 64 and 512 megs RAM on XP). The game itself runs smooth as silk. The only time I ever lag is when a muliplayer map just loads. After a few seconds it clears right up.

For the love of God, there has got to be someone out there who can tell me why my bullets never hit the mark yet I get capped with one shot as a dude JUMPS by me with his mp40 time and time again. It's getting quite lame and my view of the game is rapidly changing because of this.

I don't mind dying, I do it enough I should be used to it by know. But how can I make sure my gun isn't loaded with blanks anymore? I hate coming up behind someone and emptying a clip into the back of their head at 2 feet only for them to turn around and pot-shot me. Gun accuracy is not an issue, nor is my accuracy. This is purely game based and there is a trick to it that I am trying to find out. It must be a darn well guarded secret though.....

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Joe, what are your systems specs.

there are several things that can cause this to happen

not having a powerfull enough system
network issues (high ping, ping that bounces around a lot, ect)
are you playing on a server protected by punkbuster, and if so is it a "pure" server?
are you playing stock or custom maps?

LTS_Joe

LTS_Joe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Not playing anything fancy. No custom maps or mods. If you notice in my post I listed my system specs. Way more than needed for Call of Duty UO.
But I have been researching this and come up with several answers to this burning question. They are:

1.) Some players are able to cheat by altering com settings like max hunksize and max framerate in the multiplay config files. These settings can dramatically improve game performance. Punkbuster doesn't see these as cheats or hacks since they are in the normal framework of the programming. Some players set their graphics to the lowest settings in order to improve game performance, which is all actually linked to cause number 2.....

2.) I also discovered that CoD servers are constantly out of sync with players. I used Kill Cam to verify this. Due to system speed and connection speed and whatever else some players are just "slightly ahead" of others in the game. What this means is that while I'm shooting a guy right in the face and not hitting him is because he is slightly to the right or left of his percieved position and my bullets are essentially ghost-like to him because to me he's slightly in the future by half a second or so. I'm shooting at where he was a millisecond ago. I see me shooting him right in the face but on Kill Cam I see that he had long since passed by where I was shooting and I am hosing down empty wall, even though he was right in my face by my prespective. That's because I was slightly behind him on the server. His signals had already been processed before mine and so I die. It's really lame bug if you ask me. One that is easily fixed with some simple socket code (I'm a coder) and better internal clock managment. But that would require that the company actually care more about it's customers than making money. That ain't happening.

Now my system is crashing constantly with BAD_POOL_HEADER bugs everytime I run UOMP. I have to say, for the money I paid for this game I expected a lot more out of it. Very disappointing, indeed.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i have played cod series games for 2000 hrs, and i have never had problems like that, i ran cod uo on a simiarily configed rig as urs, my ping was around 130 and i still pick ppl off with mp44 in hurtgen. Just as a thought, 1 sure way of confirming that it's non skill related is to jump on the map breacourt and hop on an mg42 and if you still can't hit any1 with it than it's definitely something wrong with your system or game. I suggest a reinstall in that case. If you can hit ppl than maybe it's the way your shoot. first go to a pure server with 4-5 players on a normal map. Grab a sniper rifle and try killing stationary targets (campers) and if you can hit them than start using a kar98, or a rifle of ur preference. (best way to become good at the game is to use a rifle for 2 month) the key to mp44 and mp40 is burst shots spray is only good for very short range and a skilled opponent can dance around you and pop you in the head with a luger. also the servers you choose can be a big problem, i frequently play on high skill level dm servers, and ppl still call me a cheat because of my accuracy (Scoped lee enfield rules all). Find a server suitable for your current skill level and play tdm to start off with. when ppl start playing the game their kdr kill death reatio is usualy 1:4 than with more play you get to 1:1 than spend a lot of time playing will improve your skills to the level of 4:1. 2 month with a rifle and you will become very good with most guns, and a god with the pistol. kar98 is a very good starter weapon. and for machine guns 2-3 shots per burst will yield the maximum accuracy, unless ofcourse u use the ppsh.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
LTS_Joe:

1.) Some players are able to cheat by altering com settings like max hunksize and max framerate in the multiplay config files. These settings can dramatically improve game performance. Punkbuster doesn't see these as cheats or hacks since they are in the normal framework of the programming. Some players set their graphics to the lowest settings in order to improve game performance, which is all actually linked to cause number 2.....

maxhunkmeg and max framerate are not cheats and never will be. They are Performance tweaks. Maxfps default setting is around 99 fps. maxfps removes or sets the ceiling on fps. Maxhunkmeg is normally set really low. Rule of thumb is to set the max hunkmeg to half of the physical memory installed on the pc. This aids in caching of map textures.

signals are being processed

your statement is both correct and incorrect. It requires more explanation. On my server I have an average ping around 20. most people that connect and play on it have pings around 100. I can't help that my server is hosted less than a mile from my house. I don't have to lead my shots. everything plays real time. If someone comes on with a ping of 300, its like playing on dial up. They have to lead thier shots in order to make a hit.

Bad Pool Header is a driver issue. When your system crashes it should give you a stop code. this can help determine which drive is at fault. For example a stop code of c0000008e would be video. I would update your video and sound drivers.