Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

call of duty help needed

• Please log in to reply

LTS_Joe

LTS_Joe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
No.....BAD_POOL_HEADER isn't a driver issue. It's a hardware issue.
It's basically the equivalent of a a SEG_FAULT in Linux. A piece of hardware failed is what it means. And it generally applies to a RAM fault, not sound or video unless of course they are integrated and use shared RAM.

No I'm not incorrect. And yes they are cheats if these tweaks are not publicly advertised (I myself searched for days before finding out even that much off a private clan page). That and some players have taken console commands to the extreme since punkbuster is very easily circumvented (I saw a dude playing germans on the harbor level last night on a server with punkbuster on. He was showing everyone how easy it was to FLY, which he did all over the map. Everyone else thought it was funny. I thought it was pathetic.)

These a flagrant flaws in a game that I paid $50 for. Servers not syncing up is inexcuseable. Even old-school MUDS have socket checking code to make sure everyone is on the same page. CoD servers do not.

I've poured over hundreds of thousands of lines of C code for socket handling. After almost 30 years I can honestly say this is the absolute worst job of socket handling I have ever seen. Plain and simple, the sockets aren't lined up and keyed to the game server. A few simple lines of C code could fix this.....

Evidently this is a flaw in the game design at it's core, rendering truly competitive multi play impossible. Guess I'll try Medal of Honor.

BTW, I do appreciate the help. But I am obviously irritated with a game that I paid a lot of money for that doesn't work the way I want it to. And if that's the case, why play it?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
searched for days? they are publicly available. Not a big secrete. A little harder to find as uo has been eclipsed by cod2. However, hunkmegs setting has been around for most of games based on the q3 engine. cod had the same issue. There are some custom maps that have large textures and require a larger hunkmegs.

check this article out: http://www.tweakfact...weaks/codtweak/

can pb be circumvented... not really. can pb detect every cheat out there. nope. What makes a cheat free server? PB, pb autstreamed with punksbusted, run in pure mode, and control who has access to rcon. In other words I suspect that the server had cheats turned on. You could always go back and try a cheat command to see if it works.

Keep in mind that its not always the games fault. The server admin has to take the time to set everything up correctly. As a server admin (cod, codup (still up), and cod2) and spending lots and lots of my time gaming online these are some of the things I have learned. Moreover it takes an active admin to enforce the rules.

To provide a better example we have had 2 people banned from our server for pb violations. We have banned several people for exploiting map defects. Finally we determined that people were using custom scopes that allowed a much greater zoom than the stock weapons. We switched to pure and the gaming experience improved greatly.

Bottome line is that I would find a better server to play on.

Bad Pool Header can be driver related or it can be hw. Driver is the easy thing to try first. After that its making sure your fans don't have dustbunnies or other obstructions causing the video card to over heat. It also could be memory. Its a process of elemination. oh, and it could be video memory and not system memory as well. I've had that happen before.

I won't disagree with you in regards to packet handing. I think that the very nature of server/client relationship needs to be reexamined. almost anything based on q3 engine has problems. It gets even more complicated when you add in dx7 paths vs dx9 paths. Bad scripting on custom maps, poor textures. these are things that have plagued the cod series.

If you have cod2 I would invite you to play on our servers. We even have mohaa server still running for when we get nostalgic.

humbbug

humbbug

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i had a similar problem for some reason CoD2 default rendering prefrence was set at auto instead of directx so yea make sure all ur game options for graphics are set correct, my ping droped alot after that too idk why it dropped so much tho

Edited by humbbug, 23 August 2006 - 03:10 PM.