Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Welcome screen reset

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi, I have a niggle that isn't critical but I would be greatfull for some help. I downloaded a theme from XPtheme.com but decided that I liked XP's standard presentation better afterall. I've managed to reset everything to standard except the login screen skin. Please let me know how to reset this to the original settings. Surely there is a simple way of doing this? I've been browsing forums for help for hours!

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello,

You can go into control panel ~~>user accounts ~~>change the way users log on or off

Set it back to "use welcome screen" should fix it. :tazz:

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks for the advice. However this setting was already checked. Any more thoughts?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You can edit the registry to set the default back. Be very careful when doing any registry changes!!!

Here's a link to the Microsoft article:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;302346

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks for the tip, however [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL] doesn't appear in my registry.

The path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] exists but no GinaDLL. Any extra help will be very much apreciated.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hey,
dowloadable themes usually require some application/software to be applied (e.g. styleXP, themeManager, etc.). what program are you using? as a last resort i suggest using StyleXP to manage your themes/icons/logon screens/bootup screens/cursors/screensavers. it carries windows' defaults so you can definitely use it to 'reapply' the windows login screen.. hope it helps!

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi,

I used themeXP, when I set the logon screen to windows standard nothing happens. I think the default screen has been altered so that the modified screen I am getting IS the default. Does this make sense?

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
it must have either deleted your blue screen w/ the one u downloaded, or replaced it as the default one. in any case, you might want to try losing themeXP altogether seeing as how you weren't satisfied with it. if that doesn't bring your default screen back, i suggest you try either styleXP or ObjectDesktop to apply your themes. both of them have their own 'copies' of windows' defaults[icons, themes, logons, even bootup screens], so i'm sure you'll get your windows logon back.

oh and their copies of windows' shell parts were provided by the original microsoft design team[at least for ObjectDesktop], so you don't have to fret over having pseudo-shell parts on. :tazz:

Enjoy!

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
OK, I will try using the software you suggest. I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
I give up.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
what exactly did u try?

if you haven't made any major changes for a while[except for the theme] you can always use system restore to go 'back' to when your logon was fine.

still, pretty sure styleXP has a copy of the blue one.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I had a friend use ThemeXP and from what I remember when he changed his login screen, he had to replace a file in the root/system32 dir. From what I remember themeXP asks you to back up this file in case you want to go back to the original MS Welcome screen. You might want to check ThemeXP's website and see if you can find any information.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
:tazz: Hey, scrap that last comment, I've just managed to solve this problem by doing the following.....
Thought I would post this, it may help others.
I noticed while looking at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] in the registry that the UIHost data was C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonuiX.exe

When I looked at the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder in explorer it contained two logonui files - logonui.exe and logonuiX.exe.........
To revert back to the original logon I first deleted logonuiX.exe, then, edited the UIHost data in the registry to C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe then restarted the computer - hey presto!

So it seems that the original file was not overwritten afterall. I guess I'm just on a learning curve right now!