Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows loads to nothing but a black screen

• Please log in to reply

FedExPope

FedExPope

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer was fine yesterday. I turned it on today and now it takes forever to load ( the bar under the windows logo used to go by 1 time and now it goes by 25) and loads to just a black screen with the mouse. An error message comes up that says the picture on my desktop (a windows file) cannot load. This is the only error message I get. I tried system restore but the same thing happens. Windows does load in safe mode and I've run several virus scans but nothing shows up. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi FedExPope!

When you try to get into Safe Mode, do you get the same black screen with a mouse pointer on the screen??

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 December 2005 - 08:26 PM.

FedExPope

FedExPope

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, windows is able to load in safe mode and I can see the task bar and icons.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have your XP CD handy, load your machine into safe mode, logging in as your normal account and NOT Administrator. Then click START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, noting the space between sfc and /scannow. This will check your windows operating system files and replace any that are corrupt/missing. Once the blue bar goes away reboot your computer.

Fenor