Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Lloydy

Lloydy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my PC has started playing up as for no reason the monitor screen goes blank and a message appears 'power saving' and then 'no signal'.I switch off the PC and start again and it works for a while and then same thing again. I have tried changing the display settings but still it happens. Also I changed the monitor and tried that but still PC cuts out and I have to switch off and restart.

Anyone any ideas. I am sure it must be something simple but I can't fix it.

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Sounds like you just have the power options turned on.

In XP, click Start/Settings/Control panel and double click the Power Options icon. On the Power Schemes tab, make sure it says Always On
then 'Never' in the bottom 3 settings (for monitor, HD, and system). Then click the Hibernate tab and make sure it's off (no check in the Enable hibernation).

Lloydy

Lloydy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried what you suggested and still the PC crashes at varying intervals. Is there anything else I could do to sort the problem.