Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is my cpu fried?

• Please log in to reply

aznsjater51

aznsjater51

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok i just bought my new mobo and proccessor and wanted to test it up. the thing is i forgot to link up the proccessing fan to cool down the proccessor and booted it up. it worked bios screen showing then it froze. i rebooted and the screen is black. so i shut off my computer. i tried resetting cmos and no good. and its no the mobo cuz i tested and works. so im wondering if my proccessor is fried, and also booting up the proccessor was only like 20 sec then shut off. it was not like it was on for 10 minuties withtout cooling. wats the problem?

Advertisements

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Try taking out the little battery (about the size of a quarter) then place it back in. Also, smell around the MOBO does it smell burnt?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello aznsjater51...

its no the mobo cuz i tested and works

Did you test the motherboard with another processor and it worked? If this is the case, it would be a pretty good indication the the "new" processor has either been damaged by the heat or was bad from the git-go.

wannabe1

aznsjater51

aznsjater51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yes i tested the mobo with another proc and it works. and mabe i got no smell but i smell no burnt marks on the proccessor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would say that, under the circumstances, your processor is probably gone. The CPU rarely shows outward signs of the damage it has incurred. :)

Bet a new processor will get you going...this time, though, hook up the cooler... :tazz:

wannabe1