Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP Problems - Email, Reboots, Errors...

• Please log in to reply

vlad71

vlad71

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hope someone can shed some light on this. These problems started about 1 week ago. I am starting to worry about a possible hard drive failure and have moved most of my important stuff to a different drive.

I have been running Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 since it came out and have had no problems. Now however, PC-Cillin is causing my email to get stuck. If I open OE, any incoming emails will not download. I have verified many times that if I shut down PC-Cillin first, OE will work fine. This is new...have been using them in conjunciton for over a year. I shut down the email scan in PC-cillin but this made no difference. The only sure way to get my email is to completely shut down the Trend Micro suite.I thought this was my only problem but in the last few days my system has rebooted twice during normal operations - once while browsing and once while working in OpenOffice. I have turned off the "shut down on error" in XP but it has not happened again yet. I have had FreeRam XP Pro fail on boot, PestPatrol report a corrupt database on boot, Win32 Generic Host fail on boot, OpenOffice crash, IE crash and Trend Micro Tmproxy.exe fail both on boot and during normal operations. It seems to be random, I never know what to expect on a reboot!

I have contemplated re-installing PC-Cillin and/or repairing XP but thought I would ask for help first. I don't think that PC-Cillin is causing all of these problems....I am worried about XP as a whole at this point. Thanks in advance!!

Also, just had another IE crash. System is running very slow...seems to hang for a few seconds when entering URL's. CTRL-ALT-DEL shows that tmproxy.exe is usiing 99% CPU and over 103M of ram!!

Edited by vlad71, 15 December 2005 - 10:58 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try completely uninstalling PC-Cillin and see if the problems persist. I also suggest that you put your XP CD in and then click on START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, noting the space between sfc and /scannow. This will check your operating system files and replace any that are corrupt/missing. Once the blue bar goes away reboot your computer.

Fenor

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks Fenor! I will do this when I get home tonight. Question though, if the XP CD detects/fixes any files will I need to reinstall SP2? Also, if I am going to run without PC-Cillin for a while, what would you recommend for a firewall/antivirus stopgap? Don't want to leave my broadband open during this test.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would recommend AVG Antivirus for an Antivirus program. As for a firewall I suggest you use Sygate Personal Firewall. Both are free for personal use.

Fenor

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
That must have been it! After uninstalling Trend Micro, I have been running with AVG and Sygate for almost a week with no problems. Thanks a million - I'll be leaving a donation through Paypal. Ironic really, I had been getting emails from Trend Micro that my license was expiring soon and they wanted me to pay for another year. Glad I did not jump the gun on that one....

Thanks again Fenor!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear everything is working fine now. Always good when things work out the way they should! :tazz:

Fenor