Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Added second hdd but cant see it in my computer

• Please log in to reply

fixit5561

fixit5561

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I have a second hdd that i put into my computer. My master hdd is running windows 98se. the slave has the jumper for the slave in place. the slave is running windows 2kpro but i cant see the slave hdd in my computer. i have the bios set to auto detect and it does detect both of them on start up. I se they are both there but i just cant get to the slave anywhere in the computer. I dont know where to look in device manager to see if they are both there either.
The slave came out of another pc that a friend gave to me fwiw.

Please help! :tazz:

Thanks
Brian

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the new drive is NTFS formatted (which it probably is under Win2k), Windows 98 won't see it. You'll have to find a Windows 98 boot CD to boot off to be able to rip the partitions out and reformat it in such a way that Win98 can see it.

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok umm i dont know how to do any of that. I do want to try to save the files on it so my buddy can see them later on. Can you help? I so have my windows 98se disc and i also have a windows 98 1st edition disk also.

Thanks
Brian

Edited by fixit5561, 16 December 2005 - 08:23 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
like neil said..if the drive is formatted as ntfs..then 98 has no idea what to do with the drive....and reformatting it to fat or fat 32..will deffinitly remove the info from the drive...

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok so i guess il just have to reformat the drive all together to make use of it. Can you guys tell me how to reformat it? And can i do it while it is still formatted at ntfs?

Thanks
Brian

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a 98 boot disk?
if not go to www.bootdisk.com and get one....once you have the boot disk let us know

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
yes i do have a windows 98 boot disk.

Brian

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...we may not need it right now...let's try to do this through 98 first
http://support.micro...122120121120120 the insturctions there should do it. the detailed part that you need is the " How to Repartition and Format a Slave Hard Disk " part

after switching to the slave drive...instead of doing the option 1 do option 4 and post back

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok i did option 4 and it takes me to the diplay partition info page and it only has my C: drive on there it doesnt recognise the other drive, whats next
It says under partition c: 1 status A Type Pri dos,etc

Edited by fixit5561, 16 December 2005 - 03:27 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...what's next....is what i was hoping not to have to do hehe....go ahead and boot to the 98 boot disk....and do the same process (sort of)...after booting from t he disk you should get an a: prompt...type fdisk and then pick the option 4 again...and post back (if you're posting from this machine..and it's your only access to the internet...sorry...but we're gonna be restarting a few times...just to make sure we don't wipe the primary drive)

alternatly..if you want to be absolutely sure that you do not have a chance of deleting the wrong partition...you can turn the machine off...and unplug the ribon cable from your primary drive..a.nd put it into the secondary drive...and jumper the second drive as master....once you do that...boot to the 98 boot disk...and type format c:...or you can go through fdisk to do this...

Advertisements

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
im on my laptop now so its no problem, i cna ujst use this while we work on the other one

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok the dos comes up and tells me i have a disk larger than 512 mb and asks me : Do you wish to engage large disk supprot, do i type y or n?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's a large disk so y

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
the next question is: Should NTFSpartitions on all drves be trestedas large y or n

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna assume that was treated...and yes