Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Frustration

• Please log in to reply

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Exactly what my topic description says! :tazz: You cannot trust it to shutdown. Maybe its my simple applications---I think not. I need a resolution.

Every time I ask it to log off or shutdown, it has trouble closing the programs. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder why my computer is still on. I turn the monitor on, and see a end now notice. It is very frustrating, and I hope some of you have a suggestion--as for I'm at my wits end with standing by computer before it shuts down.

-Thanks, Stephen V.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When Windows shuts down, each running process is given 20 seconds to perform cleanup work by default. If a process does not respond within this time-out period, Windows displays the "Wait, End Task, or Cancel" dialog box for the process, which prompts you to wait for another 20 seconds, stop the process, or cancel the shutdown process.

Prolonging the Time-Out Period

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To prolong this time-out period, you can modify a registry value. The default time-out value (20 seconds) is stored in the WaitToKillAppTimeout value in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

This value is expressed in milliseconds. You can use Registry Editor to modify this value and then restart the computer for the change to take effect

NOTE: In general, it is best to refrain from increasing the shutdown time. For example, if your computer loses power, your uninterruptible power supply (UPS) may not be able to provide backup power for the computer long enough to allow all the processes, as well as the operating system, to shut down properly.

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thank you so much. But now I gotta worry about the registry, so forget it. I'll deal with the issue. :tazz:

-Thanks, Steve V.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:tazz: Knew that would frighten you :)

Click start then run, type regedit then press enter, click + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click + next to control panel, click the word desktop, scroll down the list in box on right, left click waittokill, so it goes blue, right click it then click modify to get a box with 20000 change the 2 to a 3 to give 30000 then click OK and close the registry editor

[attachment=5228:attachment]

[attachment=5229:attachment]

[attachment=5230:attachment]

[attachment=5231:attachment]

[attachment=5232:attachment]

[attachment=5233:attachment]

[attachment=5234:attachment]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you still do not fancy that you can get SpeeDefrag, you get a desktop icon, click it and it restarts the PC, loads the defragmenter, defragments the drive then shuts the PC down

http://www.downloadt...m/d/1132898897/

During Installation, tick put an icon on desktop and also click to launch SpeeDefrag