Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel automatically formats numeric fields to have 3 decimals

• Please log in to reply

brk2000

brk2000

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a PC that has Office 2003. In Excel, it automatically takes the first 3 numbers entered into a cell and places them after the decimal point. For example:

I type: 123 --> Excel shows: .123
I type: 1234 --> Excel shows: 1.234
I type: 12345 --> Excel shows: 12.345

I have tried to changing the column to text and then back to numeric and that doesn't work.
I've tried creating a Special format and that doesn't work.
Others in the our company open the same excel file and have no trouble entering numeric data into the same worksheet.
I was told, although I did not try that excel.xlt or the default excel template file was copied to this machine and still the same results.

I would uninstall and reinstall, but I fear that with the new versions of software these days, I may not be able to reinstall again.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
In excel
Tools / Options / Edit / Fixed Decimal Places can be enabled or disabled.

If enabled and set to 3 places, when you enter numbers without a decimal point you will experience the problems stated above.

Disabling the option above should resolve your problem.

HTH

brk2000

brk2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
dsm,

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked just great!

Have a good one.