Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Windows Update Problem

• Please log in to reply

Bigjohnjr

Bigjohnjr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a 5 month old HP laptop that was running perfect, the other night I went to download the windows updates and it told me that I had 4, went to download them and the window opened up to download the updates and then nothing, just sat there forever.

I tried and tried and nothing, I called HP and got no where with them. They are in India and there answer is to format the hard drive and reinstall windows.

Gee why did'nt I think of that.

Anyway I looked around and found out about BITS, I tried starting it and I get an error starting it. There error tells me to contact the hardware vender.

Again I am stumped.

I did find a batch file in the net that re registers alot of files, tried that, did not work.

I have windows xp with sp2 installed. I have read about problems with sp1 and bits, but mine came with sp2 preinstalled.

Yes I could just format and re-install and that would fix it, but I don't want to.

Is there some other way to download windows updates that does not use bits?

Thanks
John

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Step 1
Are you getting a specific error message?
If so, go here and check it

http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

If no error, go to step 2

Step 2

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 jscript.dll
<enter>

try windows update. Now working still? Try

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
<enter>

try windows update. Now working still? Try