Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Geforce XFX 6600GT AGP Problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Less than a week ago i posted my (the) common problem of the XFX Geforce 6600GT, 'The Black Screen'. Happily, I was nicely given direction by a user of this forum. But it was safe to say, All options ran out. It would be at this point, Singled out to be a defective card.

But why would it be defective if it is still operational in Some games? yet, the 'Black screen' problem occurs in others.

Games that i found was effected:

Warcraft 3
HL2 Single Player
Battle For middle Earth

Games that i found, uneffected:

Counter Strike Source
Counter Strike 1.6

My question is, Why is it doing it only to a few, yet not all? Note, on CS:S i'm happily enjoying FPS of up too 90.

The things i've done to see if i've could solve this.

* The Extra Power Plug at the back of the card IS plugged in
* I've made sure that overheating simply Isn't an issue to this
* This Problem happends to all my games, but strangly not to: 1.6 and CS:S.
* Updated the drivers
* Downgraded all my graphics on all games to lowest settings (had no effect? I didn't think this would do anything )
* Updated my Mobo BIOS
* Updated my Chipset Drivers
* Cleaned the Fan
* Upgraded my PSU (230 to 350w)
* vsync off
* other graphic options (aliging etc) off or applicational choice.
* Attempted the 67.66 Drivers, 71.80 Drivers (both no effect)

http://forums.nvidia...?showtopic=1652 <-- This is my Starting problem..

I hope most of you understand what i'm trying to explain, and i hope.. if you guys could give me direction. I dont want to give up on this card and send it back, hence wait 2-3 weeks for a return. or even having to choose another.

My Computer specs:

AMD Althon XP 1800+
512 RAM
XFX Geforce 6600GT AGP 128mb
Hiper 350w Power Supply

Model: MS-6390
Motherboard BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
Chipset: VIA Technologies Inc VT8375 ProSavageDDR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Note: (Sorry for double posting, there doesn't seem to be any 'Edit' button on these fourms.)

Black Screen is a result from playing a game for 2-5 mins and then the montior becomes a black screen, into like 'a stand-by state'. No activity or any kind. Just.. A Black screen..

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problems with my xfx 6600gt agp8x graphic card. I found out, that it crashes, when i run some more advanced games (ut2004, far-cry, doom3, half-life 2).

Thing is the same as it is with yours.
Black screen, al the sound freezes...

I lend it to a friend of myne, who also benched it for me. Same thing at his pc.
He also lend it to a friend of his, same thing again.

There is somenthing else. When i got my card back, everything worked normally, except that i get very low frames in game (for example ut 2k4 on 1024x786 i get around 30 frames all high),which is simply too low ( i should get about 50fps at least).

When a purchased card (when i took it out of the box) i noticed, that there is a resistor damaged (pulled out), so i think that might be the thing.

I tried some overclocking. I couldn't get anything. As soon as i overclock it over stock frequencys it gives my an error, that graph isn't stable. How the [bleep] couldn't be stable, if i already run it on 550/1112 with an old version of powerstrip?

There is also the thing with the drivers. The newest for this graph suck !!! Quality is bad, low frames (eaven lower than not normal). I got the most performanse with the included ones 66.xx

I am going to give it back to the sailsman and ask for another one.

A bad buy i guess.

I'll be in touch and reply what happens.
Don't forget e-mail, because i wanna get to the bottom of this too :tazz:

Edited by sheilaOne, 25 April 2005 - 07:48 AM.

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I had excatly the same problem with my XFX GeForce 6600 card, games i play that work are:

counter-strike, battle for middle earth, codename eagle, call of duty

games that not work:

battlefield vietnam

..and some other games i dont remember and i have also the
same problem with 3dmark 2001, 3dmark 2003 and 3dmark 2005, it runs a couple
of tests and then it turns black ;).

bad for me i dont have any document what so ever for my card, like throwing money in the air, i shall never never never again buy a card from this ****

i think that in these days manufacturers cant and shouldnt afford to do a deffect hardware
like these have dont above, i am relly angry :tazz:

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I said already;

The Card frozes, when it is under a bit heavier load. Those stands for newer games, all the bechs (3d mark xxxx, pcmark xxxx ...).

So far i still haven't got the time to go to my salesman and return the card or replace it for another one.

p.S. I also forgot to mention it, that my previous card was mx440, and it was also produced by XFX (that card wasn't word to trade it for that brown thing you make out of your [bleep] when you go to the toilet).

Try to google for xfx 6600gt and you will find, that in some cased this card does its J.O.B. very well; the problems that we have almost aren't posted...

I forgot to ask in my previous post... what kind of a xfx 6600gt do you have?
With this i mean the went style. I think there are three types of went's functioning on it:

-The first one is a black and quite silent. The card cooler is shielded with a black plastic, on wich there is a maskot of xfx painted on.

-The second one is a silver one. It is made out of aluminum (or aluminium ; my english isn't brilliant) or at least i think it is, and the cooler is shielded with aluminum (aluminium) too. That fuc***** fan is so godtham loud (without that fan, my pc would be completely silent - under 20db).
This is also the version, that i posses.

-The third type i don't know, but i think it exists.

I also forgot to mention. Yesterday i downloaded powerstrip 3.59 and so far i overclocked my card to 600/1000. I haven't got to the gram so far, but i am going to.

See you later in one week, when i came back from a lan party. (i will also bench a card on my friends pc and checq out what it can do, because my previous monitor has broken and now i am forced to run on a 15" 900x600 under 60 hz).

Enjoy, SheilaOne

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I still didn't went to the sailsman to puchase another card. Yes i know lazy me ;).

Anyhow. I did some overclocking of gram, and i must say. That is the worsest piece of gram i ever overclocked. All i could get so far was 594/1027.
Artifacts included ;) .

I did aswell some benching in 3dmark 05 and pc04 and i got 3895p in 3d05 and 4001 in pc04. Strange i think, for i got about 10000k in pc04 with my friends mx440se. (both were heavily overclocked ofcourse). :tazz: