Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

swapping memory?

• Please log in to reply

Compaquser2005

Compaquser2005

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgive me, not real computer smart.....I have a Compaq Presario laptop, probably 4 years old, that I run my business off of. The other day it stopped working so I took it to a computer shop to have it checked out. They assured me it was a bad motherboard and quoted me around 350 to have it fixed. Recently, I have found several other 'nice' Compaq models on Ebay for about the same price. So my question is, can I buy another Compaq laptop and simply replace the memory with my old memory card or it it not that simple? Any ideas? Thanks for your help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It is not the memory that needs to be transfered, it is the disk drive. If the two machines are identical, then you can swap the disk, but if the devices are different then you can have issues with the various drivers and would need to install all the correct device drivers.

It can be done, but it will vary how difficult it is, from easy to hard.

Compaquser2005

Compaquser2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking about an identical machine, might be my best bet. Thanks for your help! :tazz: