Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Coolers

• Please log in to reply

Whitters

Whitters

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
The Problem: I have two Sony Vaio PCG-K33 Series laptops, both relatively a year old. BOTH are going down the drain fast, one moreso than the other.

Laptop #1 (Running Winows XP Professional): I turn it on, log in, and about 5-10 minutes later, the entire laptop is burning hot, and starts freezing. This happens every time the laptop is turned on. If I set my large fan by it, the laptop runs completely fine. The cooling system HAS been cleaned several times, but problem still exists.

Laptop #2 (Running Windows XP Home Edition): This laptop still works for a couple hours before it starts getting hot and freezing (and in this couple hour span, the computer usually is turned off at least once for at least 30 min). Its also freezing without warning. This laptop also works fine when used in conjunction with a fan.

BOTH laptops were recently reformatted to original factory settings, and had all factory installed software (other than what the computer needs to run) removed (i.e. media players, Quicken, Microsoft Office, etc).

The Question: I was wondering if Laptop Coolers were the best way to go, and if so, any reccomendations on good ones would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Whitney Fay

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for a laptop that new....there should be no reason for them to both be cooking like that....are they still under warranty?

on the one that heat's up immediately...is the fan running at all?

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah. the fan runs.

We've been on the phone with Sony several times in which they insist that "all laptops will heat up. there's nothing we can do.." and all that blablabla bull.

Also: Am currently at college, when I get home on the 20th, we are taking them to Circut City (where we hold the warranty) to see if there is anything they can do.

Edited by Whitters, 16 December 2005 - 02:16 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.tucows.com/preview/226226 download that on both machines and record the temps once it get's hot

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
On Laptop #2 It comes up with:

HD0: 46*C
Temp1: 76*C

Is that right? or should it be something else?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
76 is a bit warm...the 46 is within range...

76 C = 168.8 f <----not good at all

46 c = 114.8 f <---borderline

what are the temps for the flaming computer of hedes?

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Laptop 2 had been on about 2 hours when speedfan temp was taken.

Laptop 1: On startup. immediately after installing SpeedFan.

HD0: 38*C
Temp1: 79*C

It hasn't started freezing up yet though. Will post temp again when it does

Edited by Whitters, 16 December 2005 - 02:58 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's something horribly wrong when your cpu is that hot on startup...give it about 15 to 20 minutes (if it lasts that long) and repost the temps

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
HD0" 42*C
Temp1: 81*C

HD is up to 43 now. both seem to be climbing

Edited by Whitters, 16 December 2005 - 03:18 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nice...it's escelating pretty quickly...see how high that temp get's right before it starts acting up.....(i know...alot of wait and see) but...when you call sony back....at least you'll have numbers

Advertisements

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can't believe that it hasn't started acting up yet, usually at this point it has frozen beyond all hope.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's probably because you asked for help.....that's usually when they fix themselves
happens all the time here at work "hey dave..my machine is.....nevermind it stopped"

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Starting to act up a bit..

HD: 45*C
Temp1: 82*C

computer has been on roughly 45 min.

- Left hand rest and touch pad are hot to touch, back ports are scorching, speaker is pretty hot.

Edited by Whitters, 16 December 2005 - 03:38 PM.

Whitters

Whitters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Up to 46 and 84

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok go ahead and turn that one off...but first....what processor is in that machine? make and model number