Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing message box at startup

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I am trying to help my DIL very long distance. I have never seen their pc but know it is a Compaq about two or three years old, running XP home. She says that every time she boots, a pop up box appears warning her about making changes to her WIN32 file. She closes the box each time and it doesn't impede the pc operation. Still it shows up each time she boots. How does she get this to go away? I am hoping she had an XP CD or restore or whatever COmpaq sells with their pc's but am not sure. :tazz: b BTW how do you find Explorer in XP, is there a search or find choice?

Edited by Janis, 16 December 2005 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as far as finding explorer in xp...do you mean internet explorer or windows explorer?

if it's windows explorer either press windows key + e or do start > run > explorer.exe

as far as the rest of the problem....with that info..no idea...give us all the info on the problem as you can...were there any software changes before it started...hardware changes?

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Myapologies for the scant information. My DIL is even more non tech than I! The only change she mentioned was an attempt to load her Kodak photo software as it had disappeared. Her atttempts to reload were unsuccessful and now the box comes up each time at bootup. Is there a way to go into startup routines as there is in 98SE? Somehow she needs to tell it to stop loading either a "folder"? or the error box.