Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
i am trying to update my mcafee antivirus software that came installed with my 1GB Geek squad flash drive.
It will get all the way to the end of the file download, but then it will just stay there and not do anything else.
I even tried finding the files on the internet. What do i do now? This is a u3 compatable drive, a flash drive
which programs can be installed and used on other computers, with out leaving a trace.

any information on how i can get these files, or get them updated will be helpful

thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi stevecraig12!

Programs CANNOT be installed on a flash drive. Programs are much more complicated then just storing of files on a flash drive, they have to put items in the registry, etc... What you need to do is install McAfee on your computer's HARD DRIVE. I don't recommend installing McAfee though because it is junk. I suggest you download AVG Antivirus, it's free and works much better and doesn't hose your system like McAfee can and normally does.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 December 2005 - 08:19 PM.

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have to disagree Fenor, because this is a new usb flash drive that is a 1GB Geek Squad (from Best Buy) that is powered by mcafee's antivirus software, it is actually u3 antivirus. if you go to www.u3.com, it will tell you a little about them, then you can go to software central to get apps that are portable from computer to computer, i currently have Migro for U3, SignUpShield Passwords, Skype, Firefox 1.5, Trillian 3.1, U3 Antivirus, and Preclick PhtotoBackPack. I had thunderbird, but i didnt think it was necessary, so i removed it. If you go to google and type in "u3" you will get results, it is very new!!! If you get the PCWorld Magazine, its in the December issue of 05, page 30.

This issue of PCWORLD IS A MUST!!! Information about new technology in 2006, such as 2 new DVD formats, Blue Ray, and HD, HD's will store 15GB and 30GB, while Blue Ray will hole a 25GB, or a whopping 50GB.

So if anyone has any knowledge on this problem, please let me know....

thanks

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
when the updates are done, what is supposed to happen next??? if i cancel, it will start scanning the flash drive

the last signature version was 4519, the last engine was 4320 and it says that a update was never ran.

once its at 100% it just sits there, and before, it wouldnt even say my last signature version

all help wanted

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
problem solved......i just let it sit for like 2 hours and it finished.....