Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing to a new motherboard

• Please log in to reply

tonex

tonex

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have an existing windows xp installed on an equivalent motherboard. I have a SATA hard drive which can be detected during the boot process. During boot up, a message indicating no other IDE device is detected when in fact I have CD-ROM device instaled in IDE1 connector on the motherboard. Also, The keyboard and mouse does not work such as whenever I tried to select safe mood or normal mood. The boot up process is only up to the windows XP logo and will restart itself continuously in this cycle. I have to swicth the computer manually to turn the computer off. Please, any advice. Thank you.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tonex! Welcome to G2G!

Do you have a USB mouse or keyboard? If you do, then you'll need to plug in a normal PS/2 keyboard, go into the BIOS and turn on USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT or USB LEGACY SUPPORT. Save the changes and then turn off your computer and put your USB mouse/keyboard back in and you should now be able to use your keyboard to select which mode of Windows you want to log into.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And as for the rebooting of the computer, you need to do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of Windows since you changed out the motherboard. You can use the link in my signature as a guide on doing this. Don't worry all your programs will still work afterwards and you won't lose any files or settings, this only replaces the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all Windows Updates after doing this.

Fenor

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi tonex! Welcome to G2G!

Do you have a USB mouse or keyboard? If you do, then you'll need to plug in a normal PS/2 keyboard, go into the BIOS and turn on USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT or USB LEGACY SUPPORT. Save the changes and then turn off your computer and put your USB mouse/keyboard back in and you should now be able to use your keyboard to select which mode of Windows you want to log into.

Fenor

hi Fenor,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it much.
sorry for responding so late. For some reason my browser would not let me get in this site. I was just able to access this website just now. Anyway, I am using a normal PS/2 keyboard and also for the mouse all the time. I tried using a another PS/2 keyboard and still get the same result. Any idea as to why The CD-ROM drive installed on the IDE1 is not being detected as well. Thank you again for the reply.

tonex

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This replacement motherboard is it a new or a used one? There is not enough information to give clear answers. It might be that the bios or the motherboard itself are faulty. Like Fenor said you don't just take a system drive from one computer and install it to another, because even minor differences between the motherboards can cause problems. The least that you have to do is a repair installation. Please tell us more about the old and the replacement systems.

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This motherboard is brand new. All other hardware were the same, such as the PS/2 mouse and keyboard, SATA hard drive, Intel pentium 4 processor ( compatible to this motherboard and with the existing windows XP pro installed), CD-ROM, floppy drive, the 512 MB DDR memory (also compatible to this motherboard), the same micro atx case. As with the previous motherboard I did not install any PCI device. It's just that the boot process will stop when the windows XP logo appear by then it will restart itself continuously in this cycle. It gives me a choise to select safe mood. But nothing happens in pressing the up-and-down scroll key. During the start up sequence, The SATA hard drive is detected. HOwever, IDE search the CD-ROM (despite being installed at the IDE1 connector) on the new motherboard is not detected. I tried opening the the CD-ROM tray but still nothing happen. I tried switching to anothe power connector but still the CD-ROM tray will not open. I hope these information is enough.
I have just purchased a new wireless USB keyboard and mouse package in the hope of being able to select safe mood. I haven't tried using them as of this time. Please advise if such USB mouse and keyboard package is viable before I will try introducing them to the system. Thank you.

tonex

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are two things that I would do at this stage:

1: Clear the BIOS memory to make sure that the computer goes back to default values. To do that UNPLUG the computer from the wall socket, open the box and take out the silvery roubd battery. Keep it out for at least 15 minutes, reinstall and reboot. Ignore checksum error note. Set time and date and it will disappear.

2: make sure that the CDR is properly jumpered and installed. Check that there are no bent or broken pins and that connections are tight.

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

There are two things that I would do at this stage:

1: Clear the BIOS memory to make sure that the computer goes back to default values. To do that UNPLUG the computer from the wall socket, open the box and take out the silvery roubd battery. Keep it out for at least 15 minutes, reinstall and reboot. Ignore checksum error note. Set time and date and it will disappear.

2: make sure that the CDR is properly jumpered and installed. Check that there are no bent or broken pins and that connections are tight.

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.

I did exactly as you told by removing the battery and waited for about 20 minutes. This are error message;
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CMOS Checksum error -defaults loaded
warning!CPU has been changed
Please reenter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit

<F1>: to continue <del>: BIOS setup
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At this point I tried to press <F1> with no result. The same thing with the pressing <del>
The computer also stops at this stage of the boot process. Also, I could no longer shut the computer by using the front power button. To shutdown the computer I have to use the switch at the back of the case. Please advice.

tonex

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To fix the checksome error enter bios and set time and date.

The other error is the result of the fact that default cpu speed is not the same as the speed of the cpu installed in the computer. To fix that you should know your cpu speed. Enter bios and in one of the nenus you will find parameters related to cpu speed. These are usually an abstract multiplier which takes the form of a number in the range of, say, 5 to 20 (depending on your bios), or FSB speed which normally is in the range of 100 to 200. Use the (+) or (-) keys to change one of these variables until you get a cpu speed equal to the one installed in your computer. Save the new values and exit bios.

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The other error is the result of the fact that default cpu speed is not the same as the speed of the cpu installed in the computer. To fix that you should know your cpu speed. Enter bios and in one of the nenus you will find parameters related to cpu speed. These are usually an abstract multiplier which takes the form of a number in the range of, say, 5 to 20 (depending on your bios), or FSB speed which normally is in the range of 100 to 200. Use the (+) or (-) keys to change one of these variables until you get a cpu speed equal to the one installed in your computer. Save the new values and exit bios.

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

tonex

tonex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Skeptic,

I got the computer running. Here's what I did;

1. Everything you said during you previous e-mail.
2. I switched to a USB wireless keyboard and mouse. I enable such USB support during BIOS setup.
3. I called technical support for the motherboard. They told me to extract the SATA hard drive device driver
from their website and and saved it in a floppy. During windows XP setup I inserted the floppy in the FDD
and hit F6 during Windows XP setup to install third party drivers. This enable windows xp setup to
recognize the SATAn hard drive. Windows setup went well accordingly.
4. For the CD-ROM which does not work at al, I replaced with a brand new DVD/CD player/CD-writer and a
new IDE cable. The device was recognized during POST and it also worked.

I'm just sharing this experience with you. Thanks for your help.

tonexent

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for sharing the results. Good luck.