Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Itunes installation

• Please log in to reply

bwitty

bwitty

• Pip
  • 7 posts
A while back, I downloaded an Itunes update and tried to install. The update never installed and since then, I am not able to install any new software. Itunes worked fine (the old version), but I tried to un-install it and then re-install. That was a mistake. Now Itunes does not work at all, and I still can't install any software. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Windows XP SP2

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

bwitty

bwitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried Tune Up just as you recommended- to no avail. Tune-up did, however, install itself. Itunes still starts the install, says it is copying files, then the window disappears right after it says "publishing product information" and there is nothing installed, no files copied to the hard drive, as if it never happened. This also happens with software for a Harmony Remote control that will not install. With this one, however, I get a message from the Installshield Wizard that says the wizard was interupted before the software could be completely installed and to try again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

bwitty

bwitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried it- it ran. Re booted, but the same thing happened- itunes did not install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you post whatever error messages you get

bwitty

bwitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
With Itunes there is no error message. The installation gets to "publishing product information", then the window disappears and it's done- with nothing installed, no folders created, or files copied. A shortcut on hte desktop appears briefly, then vanishes. The Harmony software has a window that simply says that the installation was interupted and to try again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you find an iTunes folder, and also any other files which may be on the drive, if you send any of these you do not need to the recycle bin and leave them there

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot

Run Tune Up disc clean up the reg defrag then see if you can download and install the latest iTunes software

bwitty

bwitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Deleted any file or folder that said itunes (except under my music- which holds my music files). There was, however one file I could not delete, which was an itunes setup file, which the search said was on my c:\ drive, but i could not find when I opened a window to look for it. Ran the tune up stuff, tried to install again (the setup file I used was on my desktop, not the one on the c drive)- same results- no installation.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get move on boot

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

search for the files, then right click set up, you should see a blue x with delete files on next boot

Advertisements

bwitty

bwitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Got rid of all the files, and did the same for the quicktime files I could find. Re-ran all the tune-up stuff. Still- no install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In post one where you said you could not install software, does that still apply, I know Tune Up went on but how is it with other installs

bwitty

bwitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
All of the utility software that you recommended instsalled fine. I just tried some simple kids game software, and that to was fine. The ones that won't install are itunes, and software for my Harmony remote control (which does give me a message about the install being interupted, right at the end, and to try again later). I also tried to install quicktime without itunes, and that did the same thing as the itunes install.

balkie

balkie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer is doing the EXACT same thing. I've been searching for days for ways to fix this problem. So far I've found nothing. If you get this fixed please post a how to. I would greatly appreciate it. Also I will gladly do the same.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Programmes may not install if there is an existing version of the programme already present, or for some reason, the PC thinks there is

Have you installed, or tried to install iTunes before this