Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beeping and nothing on screen

• Please log in to reply

xxlucienxx

xxlucienxx

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a strange situation. When I power up my PC, there is a constant beeping and nothing comes up on my monitor. It is as if the monitor is turned off. I have used a different monitor with the same results. What can I do?

:tazz: :)

thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to check the video card. Depending on the motherboard there is a series of beeps that can tell you where to look for the problem. Usually constant beeping with no letup is video card or chipset problems.

SRX660

xxlucienxx

xxlucienxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, I do not have a video card, I have a Biostar M7VKQ motherboard.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try moving the ram to the other slot (dimm), the beep could also mean the system can't find any usable memory. If this is the case and the system boots after the move then the dimm slot is bad, if after moving the ram the system does the same then it could also be bad ram but I would try a video card first because usually when theres bad ram there will be other bad behavior before the computer won't boot.

Rick

xxlucienxx

xxlucienxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, I moved the ram to another slot and it is working! Thanks so much for the help.

Chris

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome,

you should rma the mother board if its still under warranty, even though the computer is running fine with the ram in the second dimm slot the board does have problems and biostar will ship you a new one if you explain the board won't run with ram in dimm 1 and return this board to them.

Rick