Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not power on

• Please log in to reply

KINNEY0201

KINNEY0201

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
We have a Dell Dimension 4500 that will not power up. When plugged in, one of the lights on the internal modem will light up. Then, when you push the power button, one of the cd-rom's lights flashes on and off once and nothing else happens. The power button light stays on, but that's it. Can someone please tell me if they've had this problem and what to do to correct it. Thanks! Also, both cd/dvd drives will not open.

Edited by KINNEY0201, 16 December 2005 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check to see if the CPU fan runs and stays running. If not the first thing to do is try another power supply. be careful of what power supply you use for troubleshooting. Many of the dell PS's are not wired the same as normal PS's. If the PS is good the next thing to check is the memory. Try another stick of the same type. After that you need to start with the basic parts needed to get it to bootup, MB, Cpu, memory, video, keyboard, and mouse. Everything else needs to be disconnected. See if you can get to the bios screen. Let us know, please.

SRX660

KINNEY0201

KINNEY0201

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I swapped out the power supply. Still the same issue. Power button light came on, motherboard light came on, no fan activity. THEN, I started dismantling the computer piece by piece, continuing to check fan activity. I didn't get fan activity until I disconnected the P4 (two yellow & two black) plug from the motherboard. The fan now comes on and stays on. However, it still will not boot, no picture to monitor, activity light stays lit on front of computer along with cd-rom drive light. What is going on? Why would this happen? What does this mean? Do I need the P4 cable to be plugged in? And if so does this mean that the motherboard is bad? PLEASE HELP!

Edited by KINNEY0201, 17 December 2005 - 08:44 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Most likely a bad motherboard seeing as you tried another psu, the P4 connection is critical for intel systems and of major importance with Amd.

P4 supplies extra power to the cpu and it seems the board is not providing it.

Sorry rick