Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open any word or excel files.

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
This just started and I can't figure out why. I have 3CPU's network together one of these CPU's I use to keep track of bills and such. Just recently I noticed that when I try to open either a MS Word file or Excel file I get a error like message. (ex. if I try to open my excel file named bills I get a message that comes up and says " bills.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be a read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.") The weird thing is I can access those files from across my network I just can't access them from the CPU they are stored on. I have tried shutting down the other 2 CPU's just to make sure they were'nt being use across the network and that didn't help. I tried to copy them to a cd and open them on the CPU those files are stored on but that didn't work either. At first I was thinking I have a few bad areas on my hard drive but that woouldn't make sense would it? Since I can access them from another pc on the network. Is it possible that some how my MS word and Excel file could have become corrupt some how? Please help me any input would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Advertisements

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
please help me guys? I can't figure this out.

klhudson1

klhudson1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We are experiencing this as well...the Microsoft Solution does not work...Anyone have any ides???

Thanks!

kh

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
what is the microsoft solution you are refering too? I looked around but I couldn't find anything on this problem.

Floris

Floris

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello I'm also having this problem. Can you tell me what the microsoft solution is? I've been searching the microsoft site, but having found any solution you are reffering to.

best regards

Floris

25karthik

25karthik

• Pip
  • 1 posts

This just started and I can't figure out why. I have 3CPU's network together one of these CPU's I use to keep track of bills and such. Just recently I noticed that when I try to open either a MS Word file or Excel file I get a error like message. (ex. if I try to open my excel file named bills I get a message that comes up and says " bills.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be a read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.") The weird thing is I can access those files from across my network I just can't access them from the CPU they are stored on. I have tried shutting down the other 2 CPU's just to make sure they were'nt being use across the network and that didn't help. I tried to copy them to a cd and open them on the CPU those files are stored on but that didn't work either. At first I was thinking I have a few bad areas on my hard drive but that woouldn't make sense would it? Since I can access them from another pc on the network. Is it possible that some how my MS word and Excel file could have become corrupt some how? Please help me any input would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

View Post

alex12345

alex12345

• Pip
  • 2 posts
anybody :tazz:

alex12345

alex12345

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After installing XP2 problen whent away :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you played with the file permission on the folder on which they are stored
and accidentlly locked yourself to read only?
Cheers
Peter

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
One more Idea try deleting the windows temp file on the computer that holds the
original files then reboot that computer. When you open excel it makes a .tmp file which may be causing the problem.
Since you have more then 1 computer, open bills.xls on one of the other computers then save it to that computer. delete the original bills.xls. then see if you can open the copy. If so save it back to it's original destination.
For the people who do not have more then 1 computer try to email the file to yourself and whilst it is in cyber space delete the windows temp file > reboot
rename the original file (so you don't loose it) then retrive the email.
When you rename the original file just add a 1 to the file name eg
bills.xls rename to bills1.xls this way you can always go back.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

DheerajSharma

DheerajSharma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
photo.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be a read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.") The weird thing is I can access those files from across my network I just can't access them from the CPU they are stored on. Please help me any input would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
:tazz:

cantaim

cantaim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just started experiencing this error on all Excel files received as attachemts in Outlook 2000. Before today everything worked fine and no updates to the systems have occured.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you try my advice?

cantaim

cantaim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had one piece of information that I had not shared. The day before our email provider upgraded iMail server to version 8.2. After all day testing and calls to technical support, the upgrade was rolled back and now we can access our file attachments.

The file permissions were fine. The iMail server was corrupting the files.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
is it working now ? and did you try my suggested fix?