Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Anybody know of a good free video editor?

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I just need something to make a project for school. I've got the video I want, but I need only two capabilities from the program:
--> Ability to crop video length (so like it will take out all the video EXCEPT from xx:xx:xx to xx:xx:xx)
--> Ability to crop or at least "paint" over the video picture itself (the video has some annoying marquee stuff at the bottom, and a timestamp at the top which I'd like to crop out, if that's not possible blacking them out will do fine. This feature is the one I'm having trouble finding).

The program needs to be free or like a 30-day trial or something, and not include a brand on the video.

I found a program like this once, so I know there's one out there. Just can't remember what its called :tazz:

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.geekstogo...TEN-t69060.html

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hi W-Unit, here is a very very good video editor, it has all your options and lots more :) but the only problem is that it is a trial for 30 days and its over 100mb. Once i started using it i couldnt get enough, now i cant get it re-installed. But it was good while it lasted.

Ulead Video Studio 9

I am sure you will be satisfied with this program. Enjoy and have fun.... :tazz:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 18 December 2005 - 11:52 AM.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

But, alas, I am a complete noob when it comes to almost any kind of editing, and video editing is no exception. I've tried several of the programs on the list Keith gave, but the Uload thing seems most promising.

Alright, I puzzled out how to get it to crop the video's length and get just the parts I want, but now I need to crop the video itself, to take out the annoying timestamp and marquee. Anybody know how to do this? Or know of a program that can definitly do this (now that I've saved the shortened video I don't need the capability to crop the video's length anymore)

Thanks a lot :tazz:

Edited by W-Unit, 17 December 2005 - 01:13 PM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hi again, here are some manuals that might help you out with Ulead 9.

Ulead Video Studio 9 Manual

Enjoy... :tazz:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 18 December 2005 - 11:52 AM.