Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive Problem

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey pople,

I'm sure I already put in a post like this before but here it goes, I built a new system on the 5/12/05 and ever since then the harddrive works but not to its max compatibility its ment to be a Maxtor 200GB SATA harddrive but at the moment its a Maxter 130GB SATA harddrive, would this have something to do with the fact that I didn't press F6 durin the begining of the Windows XP Pro installation for the SATA drivers? :tazz:

To cheak out what my system specs are look at my card/profile

I really haven't a clue so if you guys could tell me what I nned to do to fix it that would be :)

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi callard, it is possible that when you had installed Windows that you had partioned it.

Try puting in the windows install disk, and do boot from the CD, once the setup files have completed loading go through the steps to installing windows until you get to a place where it mentions partions. Try and see if it says any thing about "un-partioned" space. If there is lots of un partioned space and you know how to add a partioned do it, if you do not come back here.

Cool, im sure this has help, goodluck :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Make sure you have sp2 installed otherwise the full size wont be detected. If you didnt install sata drivers the installation shouldnt have worked.