Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HELLLLP! Eratic proccessor performance percentages / choppy video

• Please log in to reply

Big B 1701

Big B 1701

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is acting badly. My mouse has a mind of its own at times, and windows pop up and then close with lightening speed for several seconds, as if some super human being were rapidly moving the mouse around and clicking on diferent things, before I can regain control of the mouse. Then, the mouse will simply freeze at other times, requiring a restart before I can get control of it again.

Video playback is choppy. The frame litterally freezes for a split second or two in between spirts of several seconds of normal playback, over and over during the lenghth of any video piece. It even causes Google Earth to function this way while displaying its satelite photos.

The odd thing is that the processor performance percentages shwon in the task manager are severely erratic.

The %age stars out low on startup, goes to about 50 or 60 % or so within seconds, and then hits 100% for a "split second", before going back down to single digits, from which point the cycle repeats. At the precise moment that it hits 100% (actually, the precise moment JUST before it does this), video playback freezes until the %age goes back down. So, my playback problem is directly linked, it would seem, to the eratic performance of my processor.

I works like this. Second one, %age=15, playback=fine, second 5, %age=65%, playback=fine, second 8,
%age hits 100, playback=FROZEN for a "split second", second 13, %age=12, playback=fine, etc.

That is, playback is normal for 5 seconds, then freezes for 2, then is fine for 3 seconds, then freezes for 1, then is fine for 15 seconds, then freezes for 4, etc.

I have tried everyting but wiping the drive, such as virus removal, spyware removal, defragging, registry cleaning (the latter of wehich seemed to fix the problem for a day or so, and then, only once), etc., and I'd REALLY like to avoid doing that.

Any suggestions?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Please go Here and follow all the steps, this will make sure the computer is clean, after this if you still have problems post back.