Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice

• Please log in to reply

confused234

confused234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:tazz: I've decided to buy a brand new store bought computer. Seems easy enough thought I knew what things were. I am interested in buying a Dell (don't know exactly why but it's a gut feeling that I should do that)

What I need to know is:

1) what is the difference between 16x CD-Rom and 48X

2) when they say dual drives does that mean I get one for cd's and one for dvd's? are dual drives better than combo or all in one?

3) how would it take for 1GB of memory to become obsolete?

4) is radeon just as good as nvidia video?

5) I thought it would be great to have the ability to record my favorite television shows onto a cd but I was told that first the recording goes onto my hard drive and then I have to copy it to a dvd. Is this true?

6) if I want to copy my vhs tapes to a dvd what would I need?

Thank you for any/all help I truly appreciate the help/advice.

confused

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1) The write speed but you need a Dual Layer DVDRW Drive, this will also write to CDR/RW Discs
and a DVD ROM Drive.

2) It either has two drives, is a combo drive or they mean dual layer, go for 2 drives

3) Depends what you use the PC for, video editing will be easier with 2GB, check the maximum amount of memory the motherboard will support, then check the maximum number of memory slots, divide maximum amount by maximum slots and get memory sticks this size

4) Yes

5) Yes because the file size will mean you can expect between 1 - 2 hours to fit on a DVDR Disc which is 6 - 7 times the size of a CDR Disc

6) A TV Tuner card which has the same type of input / output connections as your Video Player

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
3) It won't become "obsolete" as such, more rather it'll get used up the more you do with it. That is, if you do video editing or heavy gaming, etc, it'll be used a lot more than it would if you were just surfing on the internet.

4) Radeons are often seen as the budget videocard; but they do perform very well for the price.