Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD rom not working properly

• Please log in to reply

warrencat

warrencat

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have just completed a clean install of Win 98SE on a Dell Dimension XPS desktop pc. The CD ROM and DVD ROM show up in the Control panel as Drive D: and E: but will not read CD's. When I double click the drive it opens up, but nothing is shown in the drive from the CD. I swapped out CD players with a known good CD Player and the same problem happens. I also get, when a cd is put in the drive this error,
E:\is not accessible. This folder was moved or removed.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Edited by warrencat, 17 December 2005 - 09:21 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you open Device manager, are there any yellow or red exclamation marks?

If there aren't any, delete both cd and dvd in Device manager. Restart the computer and have windows redetect them again.

warrencat

warrencat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There were no yellow or red exclamation marks. I deleted both, rebooted and still get the E:\is not accessible. This folder was moved or removed. error.
This is a Dell Desktop, XPS T500, Intel Pentium III, 500 MHZ, 128 MB Ram,
Motherboard Name is Intel Seatlle II SE440BX-2
Chipset Intel 8244OBX
VIDEO ADAPTER IS Diamond Viper V550
Sound Card is Aureal MontegoII Sound Card
BIOS Type Phoenix (03/22/00)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is the same machine my brother used to have. Actually he still has it, but his son uses it.

Did you happen to install the motherboad chipset drivers? If you don't mind giving me the asset tag number, I can see if I can find the correct drivers on the Dell site... PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Edited by makai, 17 December 2005 - 05:39 PM.

warrencat

warrencat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
They are the original that came with the pc from Dell

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Run the asset tag number at the Dell Support site and see if any motherboard/chipset drivers show up for download. The PCI bus may not be installed correctly to access the CD/DVD drives and you may need these drivers.

(edited) It could also be that the win98 install did not go well. If Dell doesn't have the drivers, you may want to consider reinstalling Win98.

Edited by makai, 17 December 2005 - 05:48 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The chipset driver on the Dell site does not appear to be the correct one.

I guess I should ask... when you installed Win98, did you install from the Dell recovery disc, or did you use a "real" Win98 disc?

warrencat

warrencat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I used a dell recovery disk, but I have the real win98se install disk.. I think I will do a reinstall with the real disk.

warrencat

warrencat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Makai.. Thanks for your help, I did reinstall WIN98SE from my real 98 install disk and the cd rom is now reading the cd's..

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, I figured you would do this! :tazz: Best move actually, as having problems is no way to begin using Win98!

Take care!