Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Upgrade (GFX CARD QUESTION ALSO)

• Please log in to reply

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've just purchased

2 x 1GB PC 3200 DDR 400 Mhz 184PIN 1 GB

On installing them the computer only recognised the

512MB DDR400 PC3200

that I already have. I then tried removing the 512 stick and powering up with the 2 new 1 gig sticks .... I was greeted with a cocophony of irritating beeps from the BIOS!!

I'm thinking they must be incompatible .... but I thought that as they're both DDR400 PC3200 sticks it should have been fine.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-81PE1000 P4 HT Motherboard.

*sigh* if only these things were simpler!

Thanks in advance

Me

Edited by ScottyKay, 24 December 2005 - 03:20 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. That Gigabyte board probably has 4 dimm slots, 2 in channel a and 2 in channel b. For dual channel, one goes in the a channel slot, the other in the b channel slot. It may be that you didn't install in the correct slots or that you chose memory that is not compatible with the board. Bios should auto detect the memory. I went to http://www.giga-byte...Manual_List.htm and found multiple manuals on this board, depending on what .rev# is. Look at your manual for guidance. If you don't have a manual, identify the board's rev# and go to gigabyte's web page and get a manual.

Where did you buy the memory? Are you sure it is compatible with your motherboard?

Edited by austin_o, 17 December 2005 - 04:18 PM.

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm sure i've put the sticks in the right channels. I think I may have been given wrong information about the compatibility of RAM. I was under the impression that so long as the PC XXXX no. and the speed XXX Mhz were the same as any ram you had, then you were good to go?

I purchased the RAM from a e-bay marketplace supplier, I'm currently awaiting a response from them, I'm anticipating having to return the items. How can I find out what memory is compatible with my motherboard ... I don't know the make of the RAM I already have.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you happen to have the ebay listing number? Is this ram buffered or unbuffered? Who makes the ram?

When buying ram, cheap is not neccessarily best. And, cheap ram = problems! If you want to purchase good ram, consider Corsair, Crucial, Kingston. If you go to these manufactures websites, they have compatibility engines and can tell you what ram is compatible with your motherboard/system. Then you can go shopping on the internet for the best prices.

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks so much for your help.

I'm starting to realise that I should have just paid more up front, I've ended up payin £25 postage charges already and I'm probably gonna have to pay more to return the items

6829267715 is the ebay number on www.ebay.co.uk

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, this does look like cheap no-name ram. Do you happen to know the "exact" model number of your motherboard... including version. Go to Corsair.com and enter your model number. Corsair will give you recommendations, and you will then know what specs to look for when you buy ram for your board.

Ram compatibility issues is something many people go through. It's a learning experience... myself included! I would recommend you return the ram and get something from a major manufacture. Unfortunately, the postage you've already spent can't be recouped.

ScottyKay

ScottyKay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Edited by ScottyKay, 24 December 2005 - 07:31 PM.