Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Common Sense!

• Please log in to reply

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
:tazz: This post is just to give some advice. If people who attempt to follow this list I made a couple months ago, there computer would be so much healthier!!!!

Top 10 Ways to Protect Your Computer from Viruses/Security Threats

1.) Always buy programs from trusted sources and stores. Do not download a trial then assume to get the full version for free from a web site or key generator. Doing so poses high risk levels.

2.) Have a trusted/high rated anti-virus program that is not publicly advertised. AVG free is a good example of a trusted anti-virus program. If you buy no name brands or brands such as McAfee and Norton, you risk people over-riding the software. Having no anti-virus program, or having one that does not offer integrated live protection is a fatal mistake.

3.) Have some form of professional software firewall and hardware firewall. Having one or the other or even having a no-name brand can risk your computer or network being hacked into. Keep an up-to-date hack tool remover if necessary to ensure no hacker junk is on your computer. (Anti-virus software will do.)

4.) Have at least 2 anti-spy-ware programs available. They do not HAVE to have live protection, but it is recommended. Using more than one ensures that some mal-ware is always found. Some spy-ware can download viruses in addition to tracking information, so it is important to also have anti-virus software working by its side.

5.) Avoid P2P Sharing Clients such as Limewire and BitTorrent, & Kazaa. No matter how safe/trusted the original client software is, they all make it really easy for hackers to throw malicious programs on your computer, and for you to be tricked into getting free software which is really viruses.

6.) Avoid downloads from sites that you do not absolutely trust. If you did not research the site prior to doing business with them, do not plan to download anything for free. Think about it. What is the company’s or individual group’s point of giving free full version of software? Free-trials are usually safe, but free full versions always carry a catch. Usually the catch is a fatal catch!

7.) Set-up some form of parental controls. Even for kids, these can be nagging. Just set them up to block obvious inappropriate material. People who get hooked on [bleep] for example, download more and more and that gives spy-ware.

8.) Set-up integrated Internet security and/or security with your browser. Take Microsoft for example. Always set Restricted Sites Zone to High Security, block all cookies, and allow no pop-ups. Add sites such as P2P distributors to the Restricted Sites Zone, so no one can download anything malicious.

9.) Keep strong passwords on your actual computer and on Internet accounts. Even family members can do the most harmful of things. Do not allow any one to known your passwords unless completely necessary.

10.) Keep up-to-date with your operating system. This is EXTREMELY important. Set your Microsoft Internet Updates to somewhat automatic and make sure you accept all security updates along with security pack updates, and the mal-ware removal tool of the month. They will also recommend anti-viruses programs in addition.

There---I hope that helps. My goal on this forum is NOT just to receive help, but to provide help. E-mail me if you have questions or comments.

PS I hope I posted this in the right place, Admins!

Advertisements