Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows won't run on laptop battery

• Please log in to reply

decay

decay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here are the technical specs on my laptop

AMD Turion MT 34 1.8 Ghz 1MB cache w/ HTT
1024MB DDR-400 PC-3200 Corsair
128MB ATI Radeon X700 PCI-Express
60 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Windows XP Pro SP2

When I unplug the AC power, Windows just hangs up on me. I can move the mouse but nothing else works. Even CTRL ALT DEL fails. It only shows a frame of the box.

On a related note, if I try to start the laptop only on battery power, it boots perfectly fine. But when the login screen is loading, it only shows the frame of the login box. And it just hangs there.

When on AC power, everything runs smoothly.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks

Edit: I think it's a gfx problem because when I try to click on a program, again the frame will appear, but nothing else will. I've tried this on multiple programs.

Edited by decay, 17 December 2005 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
hi decay,

it sound like your battery pack has 'decayed'. is this still under warranty? batteries tend to deteriorate over time and eventually do not charge fully. measuring a battery without a load can be misleading. the voltage may read ok without a load, but the batteries can no longer supply the current necessary under a full load. the symptoms you described point to bad batteries. if you want to be more certain, continue to run the laptop for another week or so using the AC power. if it doesn't act up, start looking into replacing the batteries.

bdlt

Edited by bdlt, 17 December 2005 - 02:12 PM.

decay

decay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanks for the response. The battery power idicator says it's at 99%. It was at 95% earlier today and it has climbed up. I will wait one week I guess and see if anything changes. I just got the laptop so yes, it is still under warranty. I will give them a call after a few days if nothing seems to improve.

Is there any way I can confirm that this is in fact the problem? Thanks again.

Also, like I said, the laptop starts up till it gets to windows if I run from battery only. Is there a possibility that my video card is just not getting the juice??

Edited by decay, 17 December 2005 - 09:13 PM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
it's possible that some piece of hardware(video card,...) is causing a problem. should this defective hardware start drawing excessive power, then the laptop will fail even when the AC power is connected. regardless of the cause(battery pack, video card, other) if the laptop is under warranty, it's always best to make sure you don't do anything to the laptop that will void the warranty.

this problem most likely will not just go away. call about your warranty as soon as possible and continue to run with the ACpower. provide them with good details on it's behavior so they can duplicate the failure and will be able to know when it is fixed before returning it to you.

regarding the power indicator - I will search the net as try to see what exactly the power indicator is measuring. reading 'voltage' gives a false indication. voltage can read full value under minimal load, then drop dramatically when a load is applied. if the power indicator is reading 'current', then there may be some other piece of hardware loading down the system.

let us know how the warranty calls goes and how the laptop behaves under AC power.