Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

router problems

• Please log in to reply

tribou1

tribou1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm using:
Windows XP
SpeedStream 5360 Ethernet ADSL Modem
Linksys wired Router model no. BEFSR41 ver. 3
connecting using DHCP

I lost my internet connection yesterday, which is pretty unusual. After unpluging evrything and giving the router a rest, restarting the computer, then plugging everything back it, my Windows XP said my internet connection was connected, but I was not able to do ANYTHING internet related (surf the net, log onto msn messenger, ect..), even though it said it was connected. I've also tried to "repair my connection", and completed fine, but i still can't do anything on the internet. All the LEDs are lit in the front of the router and DSL that should be. I can connect directly to the DSL fine on my Mac (just can't on the XP because we lost the connection manager CD).
This is getting very frustrating.

What's going on?
Is my router fried?

thanks for any help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save WinsockXPFix to CDR or possibly a floppy on any other PC then load and run it on the problem PC

http://www.geekstogo...action=cat&id=2

Bottom of list

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
There is nothing wrong to your computer. The computer thinks it is all ready online and technically it is. The thing that not on line is your router. Your Server only give you Dynamic IP and when you shut your router off and turn it back on it doesn't except or rigconize the new IP any more. For linksys router all you have to do is go to your router contro and run basic setup. It takes about one minute and there you are back on line. In case you don't know how to get there, the defalt linksys router adress is 192.168.0.1 . Type this adress into you browser and you are there.
Good luck

tribou1

tribou1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

There is nothing wrong to your computer. The computer thinks it is all ready online and technically it is. The thing that not on line is your router. Your Server only give you Dynamic IP and when you shut your router off and turn it back on it doesn't except or rigconize the new IP any more. For linksys router all you have to do is go to your router contro and run basic setup. It takes about one minute and there you are back on line. In case you don't know how to get there, the defalt linksys router adress is 192.168.0.1 . Type this adress into you browser and you are there.
Good luck

lol thank you so much, i had no idea that turning off the router resets those settings.. :tazz:

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
you are well come.