Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer too hot or is it the video card?

• Please log in to reply

BInarY

BInarY

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My computer, when ever i play World of warcraft begins to slow down after playing it for about 20 minutes. Sometime the game even freezes after long periods of gameplay.

This shouldnt be happening because im Running a an intel pent 4 630, lga 775, 3ghz, 2mb l2 cache, 800mhz FSB.....2 gigs of 533mhz ddr2 ram, non ecc, cl 4, in dual channel mode(512 x2 and 1gig x1). Video is an Asus Eax700 pro with 256 mb pci express.

This is all encased into a large tower with ample room inside. For cooling, theres 2 12cm fans..one in the front and back. I checked the hsf on the Intel chip and its secure. I dont have a heatsink on any of my ram. I reinstalled my Video card drivers but the game still lags when im playing with other people.

Im considering opening the side of my computer and placing a fan there, but wouldn't that generate ESD on my components? Should buy a medium and a better fan for my CPU hsf. Water cooling is another option that i can go as well.

using programs that shipped with the Mother Board, i was able to note down temperature zones when playing my game..... the cpu zone was at about 175 degrees, in the red. along with a few other zones.

Is running my computer at these high temperatures damaging it in the long run? Any opinions are greatly Appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Can you give us those in degrees celsius, it is very hot are you using theremal compund on the HSF you might try taking off the HSF and fitting it again.

BInarY

BInarY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
im using the HSF that was packaged with the processor, i built this computer myself. But the HSF did have a thermal interface material already on it, and i made sure that it made good contact before pushing in the 4 pins to secure it to the motherboard. Should i go out and buy a HSF with a higher performance and a better thermal compound?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would for an intel cpu they are very hot and the HSFs they give you arent very good. Get arctic silver 5 thermal compound for it, and a decent HSF arctic make good ones but there is also akasa or thermalright.

BInarY

BInarY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i also believe that my Graphx card is overheating to a certain extent..anything that can be done about that. Is it worth me buying heatsinks for my ram as well.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well im thinking about getting an arctic hsf(noise rather than heat), you might want to try getting ATI tool or rivatuner to check the gfx card temps, they are usually higher so anything between 40 and 90 degrees Celsius is normal, post up your temps in celsius so i can see how far off they are from what they should be. Ram sinks are debatable you dont really need them but they make your system look nicer i suppose.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your cpu is running at 80c, way to hot if you ask me but I ain't big into these newer intel's,warriorscot will know more about them.

The stock heatsink would have come with a piece of plastic protecting the thermal pad,

Did you remove it before installing the hs?

Rick

BInarY

BInarY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i believe i did remove it, i just finished ordering a new HSF and arctic sivler 5. I was also wondering if opening the side door and using a fan will help...dont know if its too risky.

My Gpu is at 65 and Gpu memory is at 60

its been about a year... i also want to clean up the dust that has gathered inside the cpu..whats the safest way to do this?

Aiwendel

Aiwendel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was going to ask a similar question. When playing WoW my fps starts dropping after bout 6-8 hrs of playing (yeah I play alot). Usually i get around 60 fps, then it can drop to below 30 for a few seconds at a time after long hrs of playing . However, my computer isnt as good as yours, so its a little weird that this happens to you.
For my specs I guess I just have to play a little less if i want to expect more.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
80C (probably should have converted it) thats far too hot even for the newer intels, they have taken steps to make them a bit better at higher temps and will run at 65 at a push ok but they arent really meant for that, HSFs are sill the ones they sent out with the older cooler chips and it wasnt good then.

The new HSF and arctic silver 5 should bring the temps down by alot, if you can give me your gfx card temps i can tell you if they are ok, i would use ati tool its easier you can run the 3d analysis and it will take the card temp up to normal operating for a game.

If you are getting heat problems it can build up and slow the PC down(intel chips are designed to reduce there clock speed as heat increases. So simply by fitting a better HSF you can improve the systems general performance, you should be able to run it at its full potential like in a game indefinately not just a few hours.

The 630 is a hot chip all the newer intels are though so the new HSF should bring you vack down.

A fan would probably decrease the performance in many cases, it disrupts the airflow over components and fans dont operate properly inside the system it all just beelows back and gets sucked back in, pcs are designed to draw in air from the front usually and pump it out the back that way its always cool air passing over components.

The overheatingprobably occured if you dithered when you put on the HSF the first time alot of people have trouble getting them on and will stop and think about ti before just giving it the good push they often need to clip in, and thats not really good for the thermal compound.

A good quality aftermarket HSF and arctic silver 5 should be the standard purchase with any intel p4 system, personally i prefer AMDs much better chips.