Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Build Gaming PC for around 4k

• Please log in to reply

uberslacker

uberslacker

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just ordered everything I need for my new PC. The one thing that concerns me is wether with spending this much money I should go with water cooled or stick with this air cooled system Im planning on using. I have heard many horror stories about water cooled systems. Any suggestions?

Hardware:
Asus A8N-E nForce Ultra Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Processor
XFX GeForce 7800 GTX / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card
4 Crucial 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
2 Seagate / 500GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive
Xion / 600-Watt Ver. 2.0/ ATX / 140mm / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply
NEC ND3550A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 6x DVD-R DL / 48x32x48x CD-RW / DVD Burner
Liteon 52x Black CD-ROM OEM Drive
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive (Black)
Xincom XC-DPG502 10/100Mbps Twin WAN 4-Port Router
Case and Mods:
Powmax CPARC-1 Blue Acrylic ATX Case with 3 80mm LED Fans
Ultra 5.25" Bay Freezer with 2 - 60mm Cooling Fans - Black
Ultra PC Vent II with 2 LED 45mm Fans PCI System Exhaust - Black
Vantec Spectrum PCI Fan Card with Blue UV LED
ThermalTake TrueLight Aluminum Memory Heat Spreader
Ultra 18" Rounded Blue UV IDE Cable For 2 Devices
2 Cables Unlimited 18" Translucent Blue 7 Pin Serial ATA Drive Cable
Ultra 18" Rounded Blue UV Floppy Cable For 1 Device
Monitor
X2Gen MG19VT / 19" / 16ms / SXGA / 1280x1024 / Silver / LCD Monitor

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Water cooling is a little extravagent an rarely needed. Although since you have 80mm fans in your case and not 120mm its something you could try later on.

uberslacker

uberslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
would it be better to find a clear case with 2 120mm fans than have 3 80mm fans 2 60mm fans and the 45mm exhaust fans

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it doesnt have to be clear that up to you, metal cases are better than acrylic ones anyway. its just you are going to have one [bleep] of a noisy computer with all those small fans.

Also the more things like exhausts and bay blowers the worse it looks, 120mm fans are the new standard because they can have greater airflow at slower speed.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
A fat CPU fan would help http://www.tigerdire...1389577&CatId=0

And a graphics cooler http://www.tigerdire...1648281&CatId=0

these will help keep important components cool

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
you have to check a 120mm HSF is compatible they sometimes arent and they are huge and often excessive unless you are serious overclocker, they also weigh alot and can damage motherboards and cases.

uberslacker

uberslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
After taking a little advice I have decided to go with the aluminum case with a clear window and adding the bigger cpu and video card fans. What about boosting the chipset cooler? If im going to overclock this cpu (hoping to get 3.0 ghz instead of the 2.4) will this be a problem. Just not sure on these dual core setups. Thanks for all the advice so far.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should be fine there isnt to much you can do to the chipset cooling without going for a full water setup, most new HSF units for the chipset are cosmetic using a better thermal compound might help but chipset temp is rarely a problem when overclocking just make sure you have good airflow in the case.

I wouldnt overclock you dont need it and will gain no advantage from doing it in the long term at the moment, maybe later it might be needed but not at the moment.

MAke sure you buy a quality PSU, and for cases you might like the akasa eclipse its probably one of the best you can buy.

uberslacker

uberslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well after waiting and waiting for my parts to come in from tigerdirect, I finally got all my pieces and had my pc up and running with no problem. the only thing that I have to do now is figure out if I can share the printer with my old pc and this one with this dual wan router. But just got to say this X2 64 along with the 7800 gtx video blew me away. To top it all off I put a cattilina 5.1 digital surround sound card in it with 5.1 surround sound speakers, and gaming will never be the same again. :tazz: