Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Stuttering

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The manufactuer of the hd(western digital,maxtor,seagate ect) would have the tools to check the drive not the mobo manufactuer

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go into your bios, highlite "pci/plug and play setup" press enter. Then under "Primary Graghics Adapter" set it to AGP, this assumes you are using a APG card.

Let me know if this makes any differance

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have it set to PCI right now because my Geforce 4 is a PCI card.

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I found the diagnostic test and ran some of them. Here are the results:

Primary IDE Channel : ST3160021A
Model: ST3160021A
Serial Number: 3JS2RQEJ
Capacity: 160.04 GB
Test result: Self-test routine completed without error.

Primary IDE Channel : HDS722525VLAT80
Model: HDS722525VLAT80
Serial Number: VN69HMCFEMV3DDEMV3DD
Capacity: 250.06 GB
Test result: Self-test routine completed without error.

Primary IDE Channel : ST3160021A
Model: ST3160021A

Primary IDE Channel : HDS722525VLAT80
Model: HDS722525VLAT80

Scanning drive: Primary IDE Channel : ST3160021A
Scan complete. No errors were found.

Scanning drive: Primary IDE Channel : HDS722525VLAT80
Scan complete. No errors were found.

Edited by o29, 18 December 2005 - 09:13 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Them test results mean the drives are good, I am fairly certain it ain't the cpu,mobo,psu, or heat because of running prime for 7 hours, this would have exposed something.

That leaves the video card, does it do the shuttering with the onboard video?

As I said I have looked at you manual and bios, your bios does not have a lot of info regarding voltages that the psu are producing so please download and install Everest

Run everest and open computer then click on sensor, either list the temps and voltages or take a screen shot and post it here. I know prime should have exposed a flaw if the psu has one but I want to double check

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah, I get stuttering while using onboard video, my Geforce 4, or my Radeon 9800Pro.

I bought my Antec SmartPower for the sole purpose of trying to fix the stuttuering problem. Same for the motherboard. However, I bought the same motherboard, just a new model. With the PSU, I went from a crappy generic PSU to my Antec SmartPower. Obviously, neither thing fixed it, and I ended up spending $100 on nothing.

Attached Thumbnails

• everest1.JPG
  • everest2.JPG

Edited by o29, 18 December 2005 - 10:06 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Monitor the voltages in Everest for awhile, it seems the psu is bad and you should rma it and get a new one its under warrenty. This is most likely the problem its a good psu and a good manufactuer but this kind of thing happens.

Look at the screen shots you posted and pay attention to the +3.3v, +5v and the +12v. The voltages are fluctuating badly one has the +12v at 10.5v the other has it listed at 11.26. these are both below spec the 10.5 is way below.

+3.3v is to low also in both of the screen shots.

These voltages need to be within plus or minus 5% of there rated voltage.

Make sure you are running no other software that monitors the voltages while you are using Everest if these voltages hold true and continue to fall below 5% then the psu is your problem.

I should have checked for this earlier but I thought prime would crash if it was the psu and your bios don't monitor these voltages so I just skiped it for awhile till I decided to double check because I was running out of ideas.

Rick

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hmm, very interesting. I'm glad now we might actually have a concrete solution.

The voltages on the +12 V go all the way down to 6 V sometimes.

My only question would be, is it possible that it's the socket where my computer is connected? I have it connected to a surge protector that's running this computer and my older computer. Maybe it's faulty at this point?

I'm asking because even with my old PSU I was having this problem. However, if it's not likely the surge protector, then I'll definitely look into RMA'ing the PSU. At this point, I think I'll try plugging my computer into a different socket and seeing that happens then.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I doubt its the socket but try another any way it can't hurt.

I also would not run the computer with these voltages it could damage other components.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
another thought, if your old computer runs fine on the same socket and surge protector this one should too

Advertisements

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I agree, but the other computer is on the actual "computer" socket on the surge protector. This one is actually connected to "Auxillary 1" or something.

I'll try switching sockets tomorrow, or maybe even connecting it straight to the wall's socket.

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Switching sockets didn't seem to help. I'm wondering, is there anything besides PSU that could cause bad voltages, or is that the only possible thing?

I'm wondering now if maybe I need something that's more than 400W simply because my last PSU was also 400W and had the same problem. I don't really have that much in my computer:
16x DVD-ROM
52x32x52 CD-RW
M871G Motherboard
1024 MB RAM
Athlon 64 3400+
Radeon 9800 Pro
150 GB Seagate
250 GB Hitachi

400W should be enough for that, right?

Also, in SpeedFan I was able to monitor a few more voltages. -12V is usually at about -0.6V and -5V is usually at about +3.4V. The +12V seems to average around +9-10V and +3.3V stays around +2.5V.

Edited by o29, 19 December 2005 - 01:32 PM.

o29

o29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here's a screen shot of a graph of the +12V.

Attached Thumbnails

• voltage.JPG

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would recomend a Antec true power 430w or 480w for that system they are somewhat better than the smart power series.

Your 400w is enough, I checked the specs but remember it ain't only watts that count its also amps on each of the rails, most importantly the 12v. Yours has 2 12v rails for a total of 29amp, Amd recomends at least 18amp but most users of 64 bit systems recomend amps in the mid 20's, either way yours is fine.

You have just had a run of bad luck with psu's your antec 98% of the time will work well for many years and as far as the generic psu, well, you know what you get with one of those.

Speed fan confirmed what Everest told us, its time to shut that thing down till you get a new psu in there because there is a risk of killing something with voltages that low.

There is nothing else that could cause the low voltage readings except if Everest or the motherboard sensor is reporting them wrong, this is very rare and with the symptoms you have I really doubt it.

Rick

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
A while back this happened to me with a P4 it kept lagging so I checked the CPU, one of the pins was bent pretty bad. . . .I tried fixing it but broke the pin (lol) so I couldnt know for sure...That may be your problem.

Also what RPMs is your Hard Drives. If they arent 7200 then thats your problem