Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disabling Right click menus in win2000?

• Please log in to reply

Absorb

Absorb

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
On a WINDOWS 2000 system, How do i block off the right click button on the mouse?

For example i want to make sure no one will be able to enter a web address in the address bar, I right click the toolbar menu and deselect address bar. But someone can just right click on the tool bar and reselect the address bar again.

This is for my job, i work at a library and The computer for which i want to take out the address bar is only to be used to look for books online, but some kids use it to play online video games. Most websites are restricted, but i can't keep up. I rather just take out the address bar.

Edited by Absorb, 17 December 2005 - 02:37 PM.

Advertisements

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
That would not be an effective way. They could go into options and change the homepage to the site they want to go to, then click "Home" on I.E.
Also if the address bar was to be removed, how would you look the books up?

Setting up an Intranet, and only including the sites you wish to be used *may* work, but I have little knowledge of Intranets.

Edited by Aslyfox, 17 December 2005 - 01:52 PM.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Going to internet options is not a problem, since its already restricted, its a very limited user account, only thing is these kids hog the computer because certain chat sites and game sites are still accessible. The home page for the Public Library has all the search engines a person needs to search for books WITHIN the library system, that is what the computer is for. Therefore the address bar is optional.

Someone just hops on real quick and searches for the call number of a certain book and hops right back off for the next person. But with the address bar still there, kids hog the computer for hours without end unless they get kicked out. I want to avoid that.

I'm sure there is a way. In my college's computers, it is impossible to right click anywhere on the computer. But those are winXP systems. I'm wondering if Win2000 has the same option, atleast to gray out the right click menu options.

Edited by Absorb, 17 December 2005 - 02:31 PM.

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
"View - Toolbars - Address bar" can let them re-enable it.
"view - Explorer bar - Search" then typing in the site they wish to get to can also let them get there"
So disabling right click alone is not effective.

Edited by Aslyfox, 17 December 2005 - 02:48 PM.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yes you're right.. ok "Search" is disabled. I tried going to "View >> Explorer Bar>> Search" but its blocked, it says function not available on this workstation.. But going to "View >> Toolbars" will bring out the address bar..

So now my new question would be, how do i disable the View Menu

Edited by Absorb, 17 December 2005 - 03:02 PM.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks alot for looking into this. I'm going to try to speak to the ITG guys one more time.. They keep telling me its not possible, but i know it is, I could've sworn i've seen it done before.

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Control panel - Mouse
Device setup
Change it there. Make Right click do the same function as left click.
That'll sort your right click problem.

Just noticed, on my computer that way doesn't let me change the secondary mouse click, so you have to go to the "buttons" tab, click the appropriate button, and modify it.

I can show you how to position your address bar so it is physically impossible to type into it, so your only worry is "View - toolbars - lock the toolbars" as if that is unchecked, they will be able to move the address bar so they can type in it.

Edited by Aslyfox, 17 December 2005 - 03:33 PM.