Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winXP visual styles problem

• Please log in to reply

andrebg

andrebg

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a quick question. I was having problems with my visual styles and i ended up doing a in place repair of my windows along with using sfc /scannow. After doing all my updates again, I finally got the themes services working again but now, everytime I restart my computer, the theme gets set back to windows classic and i have to go to desktop>properties> and set it again. Any suggestions on how to fix this? :tazz:

Thanks a lot

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, here's a couple of things to check

Open Control Panel/Administrative tools/Services. Scroll down the list and look for Themes. If the Startup type is not Automatic, then double-click on the Themes Icon, and in the Themes Properties window, select Automatic for Startup type. Click Apply, OK.

Then go to Start menu, right click on MyComputer and select Properties. Choose the Advance tab. Under the Performance section, click on the Settings button. In the Performance Options window, select Visual effects tab, and select "Let windows choose what's best for my computer".
If you'd rather select Custom and set the performance options yourself, just make sure that the last two items are selected along with whatever else you decide to select. The last two items in the list ensure the visual styles of XP is used.

One more place to check. Right-click on the Start menu button and choose Properties. Select the Start Menu tab, and ensure Classic Menu is not selected... in other words, select the other Start menu option.

Restart your machine.

I was going to also suggest your luna theme (XP's theme) is corrupted, but since you are able to start it up using Display properties, it might not be. Try the above first and see what happens.

Edited by makai, 17 December 2005 - 05:04 PM.

andrebg

andrebg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I finally fixed the visual effects problem by just deleting the windows classic theme along with all the others other than luna. Right now luna is the only theme on my windows\resources\themes\ folder so I guess the system got forced to use it. Right now that problem is fixed but Im having lots of trouble with spyware.miaddle but I will post that on another topic. Thanks for your time though.