Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

settings on AGP card

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi All,i just got a radeon RX 9250 TD 128 AGP card which i know isn't a fancy gamers card but it's fine for me.What i don't fully understand is how to configure the display.
I can bring up the ATI box which shows me many different settings and i have adjusted the res to be higher than the standard 1024 x ?.

My problem is i want the res to be as high as poss for viewing pics without slowing things down but i want it to be lower for web browsing like 1024 x ? for instance.I tried to configure the internet explorer settings but they have NO EFFECT.My monitor is a dell 17 " and can handle 1600 x 1200 @ 65hz.

I read and got alarmed by it saying i shouldn't use higher settings than my display will allow and i'm well within that but my PC is slower than before now and the screen goes blank for a few seconds when booting up and it's never done that before.

Could someone please explain to me EXACTLY how to adjust these settings properly as i'm worried i'll just screw it up.Also i looked and it is supposed to have cyberlink power dvd but it hasn't got it and since the card was installed my app of power DVD no longer functions.I can open it OK but it refuses to work any more and the first time i opened it after the card was installed a box popped up telling me about a settings change and that was it-it ceased to function.

I was under the impression after reading about the card that it came with power DVD[it said it did] but it's not on the disc.I asked the guy who installed the card and he said he will re-install power DVD for me but i don't get a disc and i will have to pay £30,which is almost what the card cost me.
I have no receipt as he bought it for me[no debit or credit cards].is there anything i can do about getting power dvd ? or will i just have to accept i've been ripped off again ?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
To adjust the display, you need to go into the control panel, then click on display (using the classic view seems easier to me, so you might have to select that to see the display icon), then click on the settings tab. That will allow you to select the resolution and color quality (which you want the highest).

You can also click on the advanced button and then click on the troubleshooting to ensure that the hardware acceleration is set to the highest.

My screen goes blank for a few seconds when it is booting, but the video card is a cheap on board card (on my XP system). It could be doing a test or changing the freq. and so it takes a slight bit for the monitor to change to match the board.

I can not answer about the powerDVD, but I would check with the vendor to ensure that it did and if so then go after the person who bought it for you.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah if you buy something from someone they should give you everything that came with the card including box and instructions with all cables and disks, you dont seem to have gotten that, i would insist he not only installs it for you but he should give you the disks and he definately shouldnt be chargin you for his screwups.

You can set up the screen as kemasa has told you to, i never find reading the screen at higher resolution a problem, if you use IE i would switch to firefox its a much better browser and more secure, and if you hold control and roll the mouse wheel you can quickly alter text size to suit you.

You might also want to make sure you have the latest drivers form ATI and the latest version of the .net framework, catalyst 5.12 and version 2.0 respectivley. you can get them form the ATI and microsoft websites.

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ah, I have the box and it's got a drivers disc and manual and has a little add-on to the rear socket for 2 monitors,which is useful for me as a DAW.But i read some review on my card and it had cyberlink powerDVD bundled with it.It wasn't in my box though but the box wasn't sealed either[i smell a rat].

I've rung him on his mobile between these posts and he says it wasn't included but he'll re-install Power DVD for me for free,no offer of a disc though.I have the box in front of me,is there any way to check whether it did have power dvd or not ? From the info on the label with the product code and barcode perhaps ?
I have tried to look for that info but just got confused.

I have D/loaded the firefox browser too as i want to try that but i've never done it before and scared i'll do something wrong,which'll mean forking out for someone to fix it :)

Thanks for the info on the latest drivers too.i have the .NET one up to date and he did D/L the drivers off the website for this,but i'll check to see if they are or not now.thanks guys. :tazz: