Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network unavailable

• Please log in to reply

Lucan307

Lucan307

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently got a new laptop about a month ago and found my wireless connection to be flawless at school. Now that I've come back to my wireless connction at home, I've found that my wireless card finds nothing hinting at a wireless connection at my home. It merely displays "Wireless network unavailable", and has no other connections to display. We have a NETGEAR WGR614 v4 router and I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network card.

What I find even more perplexing is that my brother has a signal on the second floor of the house while the router is located in the basement, although he complains bitterly about the signal everywhere in the house.

I've set up my router to not use any encryption and be completely open and broadcasting its SSID. I've altered the channels I use on the router and my laptop to no benefit. Wireless access point is enabled on the router. I have my network listed in my preffered networks, and I have disabled all of my firewalls because I'm desperate. Running ipconfig brings up the message "Media disconnected."

I've really just got no clue whats going on, the router picks up my brother, but not me. I pick up my network at school and not this one...

Advertisements

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Do you have any wired computer to the router ?If so are you able to access the internet from your hardwired computer.If yes then you can try these steps.

1.Logon to router configuration page.
2.Open IE and typein http://192.168.0.1
3.Username :admin,Password : password(unless changed)
4.On the left side menu click wireless settings under setup.
5.Change the SSID to any name and also change the channel to either 1,6 ,11 & mode - b only.
6.Make security options to disable and apply the settings.
7.Now click on Wireless settings under Advanced
8.click on setup access list and make sure turn access control on is unchecked & apply the settings
9.Now from your wireless laptop try to scan for the new network.
10.If not found rescan and check.
11.If not found restart your computer.

I hope this should work.

Regards,
kate.