Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with Call of Duty 2 and graphics cards!

• Please log in to reply

mevans

mevans

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Purchased a PCI GeForce FX 5500 OC with 256 DDR. When i go to install drivers it says that it installs but then it does not exsist on my PC. When i try to start Call of Duty 2 it says something about the DirectX , which i installed on my pc ( I think) Thought it was a bad card so took it back, but just wondering if it is a hardware problem or what. Maybe my HP piece of junk won't support this one card? It is a new HP less then a year old. Any help would be great!!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Probably because you needed to install the new direct x 9.0c. You dont have an available agp slot at all?

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
:tazz: this is a tough issue! In mind, I typically would see this as both software and hardware issues.

Call of Duty 2 is a very specific game (search for call of duty errors on this forum lol) and it needs very specfic graphics card. I was about to buy the same game but realized it would be too much of a risk.

You've provided a GREAT deal of information--and thank you. Your best bet right now, would probably be to reinstall directx and/or check for best updates. It isn't likely, but it is possible it got corrupt. Next, realize that GEFORCE FX series are weird. A lot of games of today except GEFORECE but decline the GEFORCE FX. I'm not sure the reason, but they do.

Let me know how it goes.

-Stephen V.

mevans

mevans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately my HP does not even have the option of a AGP slot, i wish it did!! And i'll try to reinstall the Direct x but i think i am going to get a different graphics card. Any suggestions on which one for Call of Duty 2? Thanks for all of the help.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If your just limited to plain pci then there is not a faster card available than the GeForce FX 5500. Your stuck, you should start saving your money and build a new pc that has pci express which is the latest graphics slot technology. Its faster than pci and agp 8X. Call of duty 2 requires a pretty good card to even play the game and I would not get anything below a geforce 5500. I actually recommend a faster card but you dont have agp or pci express.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Fx series are usually fine they dont have any more problems that other cards. Your FX5500 is a supported game.

When you get the replaced 5500 install it but install the latest drivers from nvidia and direct x 9 which should be installed by the game if you let it when prompted to do so.

mevans

mevans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
See thats the thing, my room mate had the same problem with his pc having no agp slot and he bought the same card, from the same place. His works and mine does not. Only difference is that his pc is a older dell, and my pc is a new HP. I think it has to do with the drivers from nVidia and direct x. All of the latest drivers seem to not work on my pc. Any sugesstions would be great!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What happened when you installed them, you might have to disable the onboard gfx as well in bios to get the PCI to work properly. I would uninstall whatever directx you have(8 would have came with the card) and you go online or put the CoD2 disk in the drive and install Direct x(option for installing it on the dtart up pae of C0D).

Logan

Logan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

See thats the thing, my room mate had the same problem with his pc having no agp slot and he bought the same card, from the same place. His works and mine does not. Only difference is that his pc is a older dell, and my pc is a new HP. I think it has to do with the drivers from nVidia and direct x. All of the latest drivers seem to not work on my pc. Any sugesstions would be great!

Have you tweaked the graphics settings within the 'options' menu of the game? I have a ATI 9600 All-in-Wonder video card that runs like crap with the suggested settings. I had to manually go through a bunch of settings to get the best possible fps and such.

Manually set it to 800x600 resolution, set it to directx 7 (it sucks but that's how I got mine to work), dynamic lighting to 'off', shadows to 'off', smoke 'off'. See how it runs then. Make sure to remove anything running in the background (i.e. popup blockers, email, chat progz, etc.). Is your computer that different from your room mates? Other than obviously his being a Dell and yours HP...compare memory size & speed, CPU, Hard drive speed, etc. After all that post what you've found.

- Logan

cooljef

cooljef

• Pip
  • 8 posts
plz help me i ordered a ATI Radeon 256mbddr PCI 9250 graphics card and im not sure if it will work with call of duty 2, because i have heard it is only direct x 8 but call of duty needs directx 9.0c, does anyone know if this card works well with it ! i need to know because if it doesnt il cancel the order!