Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with Civ 4 plz. Direct x 9 problems

• Please log in to reply

Soburself03

Soburself03

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Direct x 9 wont install, something about not being trusted. Ive tried re downloading it and downloading patched, what can i do

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Soburself03 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

What is the exacr error message?
Make sure you download DirectX 9 from the Microsoft site.

Soburself03

Soburself03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well thats not my problem anymore. I enabled some things and eventually got Directx 9 to install on my computer. The game installed fine, but whenever i went to play it i would get an error when the init engine would load saying "Failed to initialize Renderer-Check DirectX Version and Graphics settings". So i looked around and i downloaded the v. 1.09 patch for Civ 4( it said that one of the things it fixed was the renderer problem). So i downloaded that but i got the error again( only with a few demensions in the error box) So i thought it would b my graphics settings. So i found that im using Plug and play monitor on Intel® 82845G Graphics controller. So i went to the intel site and downloaded what said to be the "final version" of it or something like that. The problem is while i was downloading that windows said i was low on disk space so i figured i would delete some temporary internet files until i had time to clean it up. I accidently got ride of all my old restore points and when the download was complete i restarted my computer only to find that the screen resolution was stuck at 640 by 480 pixels and the color quality was at its lowest(4 bit) and i wasnt able to change them. I cant find my vaio recovery start up disk and I've tried installing all the windows updates but they didnt do anything to help. Please help me if you can.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The game requires a 64MB DirectX 9 compatible graphics card and yours isn't, so you need to upgrade your graphics card.

To get your existing graphics card working again download and install these drivers.

Soburself03

Soburself03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is what i clicked on and downloaded from Intel.

Get the final graphics driver - version PV14.10.3
http://downloadfinde...x?ProductID=865

Oh and i only tried to mess with my graphics controller because no versions of ATi would install on ym computer.

Soburself03

Soburself03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I downloaded the driver from where you said and i restarted my computer but its still the way it was before.

Soburself03

Soburself03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
and what do you mean by "these" drivers. Theres only one to download.

Soburself03

Soburself03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Now that i think of it, when i went to the website to download what you told me, that is what i downloaded in the first place that got me to this. same version and everything. Im just wondering, if i were to get a new graphics card right now and install it would that fix this problem too?

Soburself03

Soburself03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok right now im going out with my friend john whos good at computers and stuff and hes going to help me get a graphics card dn then hes coming back here to install it for me. hope this works and thanks for everyhting. Ill probably be back asking if it doesnt lol. But thanks again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can only install ATI drivers if you actually have an ATI graphics card which you dont have, how did you delete your restore points getting rid of temproary files its not where they are kept. You might try getting your friend to take a lookat the computer first, it really seems like you dont know to much about computers.