Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Movies

• Please log in to reply

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello.

I am a reletive noob to playing movies over the internet, so I have a few questions.

I have a web page, and I would like to make a movie avaliable to view and download from it. I have the movie on my harddrive, in .mp4 format . (Only thing I have found to play it is quicktime 7). I want to make this movie avaliable to veiw on my web site.

How should I go about this? I obviously want to try and convert it to a more friendly file type first, because I dont want everyone who wants to play it to have to download 30+MB of quicktime and iTunes to see it. What file should I convert it to, and how?

Next, how do I actually go about putting it on my site? I think I will be ok hosting it myself (not using something like google movies) becuase I dont expect a ton of bandwith usage. What 'code' do I need to use to play the movie right on the page, and to make the movie avaliable to download (not play on page).

Thanks so much for you help.

Paul

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I think .mpeg is a common format for movies. To have to movie play on a webpage, you could try embedding it. And to have it available to download, the simplest way is to make a reguar link, such as <a href="movie.mpeg">my movie</a> and then on the actual webpage, right click, and choose "save target as".

http://www.boutell.c...ting/video.html This page has a lot of information, check it out.

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the quick reply! It is very helpful.

Could someone give me a little more info on the .mp4 file type? Its MPEG-4 right? What will it play with? Should I try to conveert it to MPEG-2?

Thanks again.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I think MPEG-4 is designed to deliver the same quality video as MPEG-2, but at a lower file size. A better compressed version, I guess?

From what I know, quicktime is the only software that supports .mp4 files, so I would convert it to .mpeg format first. Hope that helps.