Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Recieve Data

• Please log in to reply

pm1chance

pm1chance

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
I'm desperate for help. I can log onto the internet via AOL broadband, but after 5 minutes i can no longer receive data. I can send out an e-mail with no problem. I have to restart the computer to get another 5 minutes.

I started a thread in this forum at Techguy with no luck:
http://forums.techguy.org/t326458.html

Also I noticed that this person had the same problem:
http://www.cybertech...php/t-1916.html

I've found a couple of more people who had the same problem but no one has a fix. Please help.

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi

Would you happen to have a router? Also, do you have cable or DSL?

If you have a router, unplug the power from it for 30 seconds, then replug it in, and see if that fixes the problem. This is going to power cycle the router. Sometimes it needs to be done. Also, might want to try unplugging the power from your cable or DSL modem for 30 seconds as well. It might be a good idea to shutdown your system while you do this, then boot up after you power cycle each piece of hardware.

Post back, with updates. :tazz:

B

Edited by Besttechie, 05 February 2005 - 01:37 PM.

pm1chance

pm1chance

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do not have a router but I do have a cable modem. I tried unplugging the modem for 30 seconds but that did not work either. Thanks for the help.

dmohnen

dmohnen

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
It does not say what operating system you have. When you say you cannot send or recieve data you are going to have to check a few things.

Try Pinging the localhost :

At a command prompt type: ping 127.0.0.1

If this works, then your TCP stack is okay.

Next I would try and IPCONFIG /all

this will give you information Like IPADDRESS, Default Gateway and DNS servers.

I Would ping the the default gateway at a command prompt type

Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are the default gateway provided from the ipconfig.

Next, If that works try pinging the dns SERVER ADDRESSES.

If that works then try pinging WWW.Yahoo.com.

If that fails then at least you have narrowed it down to a DNS problem.

If it is a DNS problem it might be with the server. You might try and nslookup.

when you use NSLOOKUP, It will try and resolve the WWW.YAHOO.COM to an IP address.

See if this works. Best of luck and let me know if this helped.

trwatson

trwatson

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I cannot offer any insight, but can only tell you that you are not alone. This same issue is happening with my wireless internet service on Windows 98. I have the internet for about 5-10 minutes, then nothing. E-mail seems to work fine. I have tried everything, and just tried dmohnen's things, and everything seems to work fine. I just recently had a battle with some spyware and viruses on my computer, and have been able to get rid of everything, but have not been able to solve this one.

trwatson

trwatson

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Check out this forum. I haven't gone home to see if this works, but it sounds like this was the fix for this guy. Hope this helps.

http://www.dslreport...k,8653449?nav=3