Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Move Wxp from laptop to pc

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
My laptop had Wxp on it.
The laptop is dead.
Can I put the Wxp that was on the laptop on a pc?

dlw

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can move Windows XP from one computer to another only if you havea OEM CD. Microsoft will not let your transfer the OS if it is a recovery CD for the laptop. It is almost impossible to copy the OS from one hard drive to another. You will spend days figuring out how to get around the error messages. When i transferred to a new computer i had to tell the microsoft person that the old computer died when i called the 800 number to register it. The old puter was not dead, but had problems and until i could find the time to fix it i had a new build i could install XP on. I later bought another OEM CD to put XP back on the old computer.

SRX660

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have the recovery CD's from Compaq.
There is also a CD that reads:
Compaq Operating System CD
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1

Is this a OEM CD?

dlw

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
SP1 is the windows XP Service Pack 1

It contains critical updates, patches, hot-fixes, driver updates, and assorted recommended updates.

So no that is not a OEM disk

Elaine

Edited by Elaine, 18 December 2005 - 06:42 AM.