Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hal.dll missing on my pc... any ideas?

• Please log in to reply

maccas

maccas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:)

I removed a programme a while ago, and having rebooted the pc as windows had asked me to do i was then presented with:

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have already tried this method:

Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

:tazz:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfotunately this method did not seem to work as described and i was presented with the this message:

"There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also tried downloading the hal.dll file, saving it to a usb flash drive and uploading it from there. This method produced the same result, as did trying to load it from an external hard drive.

If anyone has another method of installing the hal.dll file back onto my hard drive i would greatly apreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks

Jamie :)

Advertisements

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Kellys Korner Info on Missing Hal.dll

Here is a quote from some of it:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

hope this helps.

maccas

maccas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
cheers :-) think ive cracked it. thanks very much for your time!